• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

The case of Judith Scarfe.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In Sep 1748, my ancestor Richard Titshall wed Judith Scarfe. They wed by license at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Richard was said to be 20 and Judith was 23, both single. Judith was of Bardwell.

A Judith Scarfe was baptised in 1732 in Hopton, near to Bardwell. If she was a baby then she would only be 16 in 1748 and how could she pass for 23? The parents of the 1732 one wed in 1728.

I then found a Judith Scarfe baptised in 1725 in Roudham near Thetford, in Norfolk, a few miles north. Daur of Roger and Hannah. She seems a more likely candidate. Would be 23 in 1748. I cannot find any Judith Scarfe (variants) marriage 1740-1770.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes Ben. You either have too many to choose from, or not enough. I try to find the marriage of the parents, and see how many children are baptised. So, I've almost done a mini tree before I get to the one i want.:eek::biggrin:

And.....2-6 miles away, in any direction of the one you want.:eek:

Like my 3xGt.Grampy, John Ives(b1826).....3 census results say Missenden, Longwick & Monks Risborough.
He was baptised @ Stoke Mandeville, 2 years before his mother died. With his Dad having shaking palsy(Parkinsons), it's not suprising he didn't know where he was born. :eek:

His 4 siblings were and baptised @ Chesham, but born Chartridge, Bucks.

Good luck sorting yours out, methinks you may need it.;)

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Possible but maybe a stretch for a 16 year old to say they are 23 when marrying and get away with it. She must have had a long paper round. :2fun: