• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

The death of John Gray

Hi

I am looking for the death of John Gray who died sometime between 1848 and the census of 1851. He lived in Old Monkland Glasgow and was married to Francis [Fanny] Johnstone.

Heather

His last child was born in 1848 and was age 20 months in the 1851 cesus where his mother was a widow. So some time between 1848 and 1851 he died and it would be in Scotland.

KeithS

Not being picky or anything but, for the last child of John gray to be 20 months old in the 1851 census, he/she could not have been born any earlier than July 1849. :wink:

Just a minor detail like that is quite capable of taking you off on the wrong line of enquiry, especially if there was more than one John Gray for whom a child's birth was registered between 1848 and July 1849.

That said, I am finding nothing relating to his death, but it can be tied down to somewhere between October 1848 and March 1851. The reasoning between those two dates are:

1) a full-term baby would have been conceived in October 1848 if 20 months old at the 1851 census.
2) The 1851 census was relevant to those staying at a known address overnight 30th to 31st March.

As civil registration in Scotland did not begin until 1855, it will be necessary for you to check the Parish Registers for the district. Hopefully, your local reference library may be able to get them for you if they are on microfilm.

Sorry I can't help further.

keith.