• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

The family story in Victorian Times

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've started writing the story of my husband's family from 1796-1901, which means it covers mainly Victorian England. I'm tying in the economic and political happenings to the movement of the family from Lincolnshire to South Yorkshire. It's fascinating. So far I've covered the Corn Laws, Chartism, Cholera, housing conditions and education of the poor. I've covered Quarrying Grindstones in Wickersley, Rotherham, and the drive to produce better sanitation after the Cholera resulting in a rise in ironmongers. Anyone know of any good sites on Victorian England. I want to find out about Commercial Travellers, Drapers, Confectioners, Male hairdressers, and Butchers. It's not a commercial undertaking just for my own education so there aren't copyright problems.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Thanks doesn't cover the occupations I'm looking for but nevertheless excellent information. I wonder if anyone has their own family story about these occupations?