• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

The Huguenots who settled in England in the late 1600s.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Have any of you had the luck of researching French Huguenot ancestors? I have. Mine came to Spitalfields in London in the late 1600s after the Revocation of the Edict Of Nantes.

They settled in Spitalfields, Stepney, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green, plus some in Soho and Covent Garden but mine were all East End based.

My 5xgreat grandparents John Auber born 1783 and Elizabeth Helsodn born 1784 have a few great grandparents who were French Huguenot immigrants.

The registers of the French churches give the places of origin of the parents of the baptised baby and also for marriages. They also list godparents and sometimes grandparents. My 6xgreat grandmother Susan Fradin was born in 1765 in Spitalfields and even though she was the granddaughter/great granddaughter of the original refugees, she was still baptised at a French church.

Her grandparents were born in 1700-1715 and even though 3 were born in London, their parents were the original immigrants and their places of origin and parents names are listed. I think the 4th one was actually French.

Ben

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Introduce Yourself 6
K English Genealogy Roots 1