• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

The Kemp Family, Printers and Stationers.

hazell

Until my generation broke the mould, the Kemps were printers and stationers as far back as I can go. That is the early 1800's. Sometimes a newsagency appeared too. Can anyone suggest an approach to track family members and their movements using their occupation as a tool? They operated from Portsmouth, Nottingham, Frodsham and probably other places, although they seem concentrated mainly in Manchester. At least my branch of the family does. Some had their own businesses. My father's aunt claimed to be the only female master printer in England and I've tried that route. Using the term 'master printers' gets the 'old masters'. Not quite what was wanted.
Any suggestions? Thanks folks.

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Hazell

I would try apprenticeship records if they exist in the are that you are looking. I have found a member of husband's family, although not baptised, he was recorded as being apprenticed to his father.

I doubt that they would be online, but worth a try. Otherwise you might have to ask a professional researcher.

Maddie

Strawman

Hi Hazell,

Trade and street directories are an excelled means for tracing any ancestors who were in business for themselves. Kelly's directories and others can be found on the net, where I've frequently used them to trace some of my own ancestors.

Try the following link if you need to search any of our main Port cities.

http://www.portcities.org.uk/

Hope this helps you.:)

hazell

Hi Hazell,

Trade and street directories are an excelled means for tracing any ancestors who were in business for themselves. Kelly's directories and others can be found on the net, where I've frequently used them to trace some of my own ancestors.

Try the following link if you need to search any of our main Port cities.

http://www.portcities.org.uk/

Hope this helps you.:)
Thank you for the suggestion. This researching surely eats away the hours, but how rewarding when something appears.

hazell