• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

The mysterious origins of William Bullock

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have found this story. William Bullock was a silversmith and statue maker. He had a brother George who was a cabinet maker. William was in Sheffield in the late 18th century.

William was a collector of unusual objects and curiosities. He acquired Napoleons carriage and had a museum at his home. In the early 1800s he moved to Liverpool and started a museum there and then went on to London and started his museum there. Eventually he sold up everything to go on an expedition to Mexico to find artefacts there.

There are loads of info about the Liverpool and London museums and his expeditions but I can find no info about his parents or his place of birth. He is not registered in the Cutlers records though I assume he and his brothers must have done an apprenticeship somewhere. There is a hint that his family came from Birmingham and were involved in making wax models.

What I'd really like to find out is where he lived in Sheffield. He died in 1849 not sure where. He bought land in USA but don't know if he lived there. I think he had a son called William.