• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

The run up to Christmas 1878 for my ancestors.

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandparents Thomas and Mary Ann Roberts ran a beer house in Walworth, South London from January to September 1878. They were living in Holborn by November 1878. On the 2nd December 1878, Mary Ann's 39th birthday as well, they applied for poor relief due to destitution.

The poor law record had given their addresses over the past 18 months. The run up to Christmas was not good for the Roberts. Their daughter Kate aged 15 that decemberof 1878 is my 2xgreat grandmother.

They were asked to go to the workhouse but I have checked all the workhouse records for that time and there was no entries for my Roberts family. It looks like they applied but after being told to enter the workhouse they probably found their own means.

The cold Christmas of 1878 was a hard one for the Roberts but by the 1881 census Thomas was a night watchman and Kate and her sister Elizabeth were tailoresses.

A sad story but turned out better once they found their feet again.

Ben