• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Think I've found bride but where's groom?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have been looking for Elisabeth Winstanleys marriage to Elijah Prescott. Their first born child was born in 1890 in Wigan. There are a lot of Elisabeth Winstanleys but it seems likely to me the marriage is the one mentioned in 1899 in Wigan as there are 5 brides and 4 grooms in the BMD records but I can't actually find any trace of Elijah in any marriage records round that time. Anyone find him?

josie7644

Valued Member
I have been looking for Elisabeth Winstanleys marriage to Elijah Prescott. Their first born child was born in 1890 in Wigan. There are a lot of Elisabeth Winstanleys but it seems likely to me the marriage is the one mentioned in 1899 in Wigan as there are 5 brides and 4 grooms in the BMD records but I can't actually find any trace of Elijah in any marriage records round that time. Anyone find him?
Hi duckweed, I've looked at the marriages of Elizabeth Winstanley in Wigan in 1899 and 1889. All have an matching number of brides and grooms. Do you have the volume and page number of the one searched? If you do, then I'll have a good look around.

:) Josie

josie7644

Valued Member
Hello again,

On Freebmd, I've just found this possible marriage in Wigan in the September quarter of 1897, vol 8c page 77.

Arkwright Alice
Mitchell Alexander
Prescott Joseph
Winstanley Elizabeth

Is it possible that Elijah had two names? Or maybe it's just an error in the GRO index.

Josie

duckweed

Loyal Member
No he didn't have another first name. I think it would be unlikely to be anywhere but Wigan or Ashton in
Makerfield. I would be surprised if they weren't married as Elijah was a thundering local preacher. Would be amusing if he didn't as he wasn't very kind to his wife so was obviously a hypocrite. They had nine children and she finally had enough of his mean money pinching and abuse and walked out.