• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

This is intriguing me

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have found snippets of information. Wonder if there are any early newspaper accounts. George Wild (or Wilde) was an assistant constable in North Church Street in 1841. I think that was the old lockup next to the Cathedral. Reminiscences of Old Sheffield talk of Wild the gaoler of Scotland road (debtors prison) Another short reference mentions name Wild as a constable during the Chartist Rising. I have lost trace of a George and Ann Wild from Norton. George was a file cutter. Another source talks of George the Constable as being from strong Presbyterian roots and from a family of file cutters and culers. George and Ann from Norton had their son Josephus baptised at the Presbyterian church in Norton. The Wilds from Norton were tennants of the Shore family who were bankers. The snippet talks of the Wild family having bank managers in the family and that being strange for a family of file cutters.

Am I adding 2 and 2 together and making 5. Times were hard in 1841. Did the landlords put in a word and get him a job?

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,
I have already had a look in the papers for the Wilde's and couldnt find anything for the Sheffield area. Im still looking tho with different spelling of the name etc.

duckweed

Loyal Member
[FONT=times new roman,times]I found this in from A... It is newspaper account Northern Star 25th Jan 1840[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Wm. Wass, penknife cutler, was next sworn. He said, on Saturday last I was going up a passage leading from White-croft into Pea-croft, when I found fifteen spears in a corner leading to a privy; they were covered with dirt; the large spear had the appearance of having been newly cut off from a longer shaft. I gave them to Mr. Wild, constable; I found them by accident.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Mr. Wild, constable—I was present when Bennison was apprehended on Thursday night or early on Friday morning; I found the axe now produced in the house; he was in bed; I received the spears from William Wass on Saturday, the 18th instant.[/FONT]

duckweed

Loyal Member
Turns out to be wrong Wild. This constable was a James Wild. But George was definitely constable in 1841. Were they related I wonder or is it just coincidence?

duckweed

Loyal Member
Reminiscences says

"Wild, the constable, lived at one time in a house at the bottom of North Church Street opposite the old Queen Street Chapel School Room and subsequently in Queen Street, opposite the chapel"

In the 1841 census he is there as constable in Queen Street but round the corner is George Assistant Constable in North Church Street.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have found this too but no further details

I've got Hannah Wild (1779) who married Jeremiah Saynor. This is a few years before the period you're looking at though. Jeremiah was the town beadle and jailer and I found a few of Hannah's brothers who were assistant constables. Those Wilds seemed to be Presbyterian. They were also filesmiths and knifemakers.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,
I must have been having a really big wally moment, dont know how i missed any of it yesterday:rolleyes:
Anyway have found some newspapers stuff for you that i think might be of interest.
One article dated April 25 1829 has so many names in it that you have mentioned in some of the threads.
Such as
Acting constable James Wild
Assistant constable George Wild
Mentioned also in the article is a William White, Elias Lowe and Jeremiah Saynor.
I have a few more to go through and then will email them to you and you can sort which ones are of any use to you.

duckweed

Loyal Member
That list of special constables is amazing. Think I found a couple of my husbands ancestors on that list as well. I note Ebeneezer Elliot as a special constable which surprised me as he was a well known radical. He was called the Corn Law Rhymer. He had originally been at Chartist demmos and ran a radical paper. So not the person I would have thought would be enlisted as a Constable. The evidence would point to the Wild constables being family but not directly related. I think they are cousins to the Wilds of Norton Lees.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,
There was a list like that nearly every year for a bit, would you like a couple more to have a look at? Some names are the same from year to year but some different ones as well.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Email sent.
Just of track a bit more, did you know there was a Nortons Farmers Club in 1848. There wasnt a lot of names mentioned in the article, any interest to you?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I don't think so. I don't know about you but I am not a name collector. I like to know what was going on at the time as well. Apart from my research of Bishops House there are my husbands ancestors who also have links to Norton and Sheffield. His important ancestor was William Gill a scale presser, he made handles out of bone etc for the cutlery business, so he probably knew the Wild family. He was a Chartist but he retired from the scene when it looked like things were going to get violent. His cousin lived a couple of doors down from Samuel Holberry, the chartist martyr. I have written a short history of William who came from Norton but still have to do some more research into him. There were quite a number of radicals from Norton which included early trade unionism with the scythemakers who were jailed for being trade unionists, so am interested if I can fill in the Chartist history.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have got confirmation that the constable Wilds are not directly connected to Wilds of Norton Lees. I think William Wild was brother to Georges father so the constables would be cousins. George Blythe of Norton Lees died in 1815 and his wife remarried to a Thomas Hurt. Georges father died the same year so probably explains why there weren't many Wilds there in 1841.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Senior moment called George Wild George Blythe. I have now in early 1800s the Wilds living in Bishops House. Unfortunately George died young within a few weeks of his father and Thomas eventually moved in with his brothers' in laws. Then there is a gap between George dying and the Whites moving in because Joseph's son was not born in Norton. James White was born in Spondon in January 1820.

Perhaps Thomas and Annis struggled on for a while till Annis remarried in 1820 but that would still leave either Thomas farming on his own or the land untilled or there is another tennant in there before the Whites. The Whites moved to another house before the new park opened and stayed there till the 1890s.

So who were tennants before George and Thomas? We have a gap from Samuel Blythes sons selling up and the Wilds being Tennants of about 50 years so could be quite a number of families in that time. Not sure how I can find out that as yet.

gibbo

Loyal Member
If you can find William Gill that would be fantastic. I've not got a very detailed account of any of his speeches.
Hi DW,
I cant find any of his speeches but still looking. I did find some little bits in some articles where his name is mentioned. Probably what you know already but will email them anyway and you can have a look.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G FHUK General Chat Room 15
duckweed FHUK General Chat Room 4
duckweed FHUK General Chat Room 4