• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

This is intriguing me

duckweed

Loyal Member
The articles are still good because at least it shows which conferences he was definitely at. The Chartist had such forward thinking demands, paid MPs, universal suffrage, paid holidays, minimum wage. So much is what we take for granted these days but they were accused of Treason for wanting it.

gibbo

Loyal Member
The articles are still good because at least it shows which conferences he was definitely at. The Chartist had such forward thinking demands, paid MPs, universal suffrage, paid holidays, minimum wage. So much is what we take for granted these days but they were accused of Treason for wanting it.

Hi DW,

Just emailing one more for you, still no actual speeches tho.

Wilde family Sheffield

We have a sampler worked by Hannah Wilde of Sheffield in 1801. Assume she was an ancestor as family lived in Sheffield but can't find any trace of her birth, death, marriage etc and how she fitted in with my family (Swindell) Any ideas?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have a family sampler and I have seen others and generally the girls doing it are around 12 when they make one, so that would put her birth possibly around 1789.
There are a lot of Wildes in Sheffield census records in 1841 though many are large families but they are also scattered across the city.

If she was born in 1789 then we should be looking for a marriage in 1809 but she doesn't show up on the Sheffield Parish marriages nor in the Norton ones so I am afraid I have no more details. Is their age on the sampler?

I have a Hannah Wilde baptised 14 September at St Peters Sheffield
parents John Wilde and Sarah.
There is a John Wilde in 1787 trades index in Church Lane Saw and edgetoolmaker

This could be your girl but other than that I don't know. Try asking Sheffield Indexers Online. They might have more info.

I have a family sampler and I have seen others and generally the girls doing it are around 12 when they make one, so that would put her birth possibly around 1789.
There are a lot of Wildes in Sheffield census records in 1841 though many are large families but they are also scattered across the city.

If she was born in 1789 then we should be looking for a marriage in 1809 but she doesn't show up on the Sheffield Parish marriages nor in the Norton ones so I am afraid I have no more details. Is their age on the sampler?

I have a Hannah Wilde baptised 14 September at St Peters Sheffield
parents John Wilde and Sarah.
There is a John Wilde in 1787 trades index in Church Lane Saw and edgetoolmaker

This could be your girl but other than that I don't know. Try asking Sheffield Indexers Online. They might have more info.
Thank you. It's a beautifully worked sampler with border of the seasons and her name forming an acrostic down the left side at beginning of lines. She merely says . 'Norton Lees is where I dwell' and that her name is Hannah Wilde. How does one say thank you on this forum by the way?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I shall see if I can find out any more because the information I have is for Sheffield, and not sure that applies to Hannah. I didn't realise she actually had Norton Lees on it. So she was living in Derbyshire at the time not Sheffield.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have asked vicar of Norton. Apparently the register was a bit messy round then.

Hannah daughter of Thomas and Sarah Wilde baptised 16th March 1789
Father Thomas Wilde, son of George and Anne Wilde born Norton Lees baptised 12th March 1756.

Marriage George Wilde and Ann Green 26th April 1753. Both Thomas and George were filesmiths (are in cutlers records).

So this is looking like some connection to Bishops House tennants Wilde as they are certainly filesmiths. I think we can link it all up.

Wildes are in Norton for generations so could be very interesting search. Doesn't help at moment to your family connection as yet.

Swindells are down in cutlers record as Machon Bank so not far away.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Well I have a family heirloom of a sampler made by someone I have never heard of but related, it was made in Cumbria and now hangs on my wall in Sheffield. My mother's cousin gave it to me because she knew I would treasure it.

Weird to think that this family heirloom ended up in Edinburgh.

I wonder how,what a story that would be:biggrin:
Although I live in Edinburgh (and have ancestors through the male line here) my mother's family came from Sheffield and I think the sampler came from the Swindells there (my grandmother was a Swindell) though it is now too late to ask her about its provenance. Thanks for alerting me to Derbyshire as had thought it wa a suburb of Sheffield so will start looking again and hope to establish Hannah Wilde's marriage into the Swindell family! I suppose it's possible that it was given to my family or bought somewhere but I like to think not. Fast progress on this track from me so many thanks esp Duckweed!

duckweed

Loyal Member
I think given that there were certainly Swindells living nearby the Wildes and that they were both cutler families there could well be family connection. When did the Swindell family leave Sheffield?

duckweed

Loyal Member
Is Hawksley from your mother's side too?
I note that a Hawksley married a Turner as did George Wilde's widow in Norton.

There is always the chance that Hannah Wilde died young and it was kept as a memento so you could be descended from mother and her 2nd husband.

Still on track of Hannah Wilde (of sampler fame) but new avenue opened up by discovery that great-great-uncle was rector of Norton Lees in 1899 to 1915 , name Vaniah Odom. So his predecessors or wife's could have been Wildes. His daughter married a SWindell.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Vaniah Odom was vicar of St Pauls Norton Lees and died in 1921.

Marriage: 28 Jul 1885 Christ Church, Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Vaniah Odom - Full Clerk in Holy Orders Bachelor of Sheffield
Mary Ann Emily Harrison - Full Spinster of Blackpool
Groom's Father: John Odom, Cooper
Bride's Father: Henry Harrison, Clerk in Holy Orders
Witness: Henry Harrison; O Gus Wilson; Mary Harrison
Married by Banns by: William Odom
Register: Marriages 1870 - 1898, Page 98, Entry 196
Source: LDS Film 1849646

Here's a book that William Odom wrote

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mossvalley/mv2/wo/odom01.html

Fascinating. Re the Hawksley side , yes a Joseph Hawksley (born Norton Lees 1867) married Louisa Callis. My mother was a Callis so it can't be a coincidence that both the Swindells and the Hawksleys were both from Norton Lees though still haven't traced the elusive Hannah Wilde. I think there were marriages to two Hawksley brothers with many children so lots of descendants!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G FHUK General Chat Room 15
duckweed FHUK General Chat Room 4
duckweed FHUK General Chat Room 4