• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

This is really annoying sometimes!!!

dawnlea

Aaaargh!! :mad:
Someone please help me! I know that this is really bare bones stuff - but I'm in such a muddle at the moment! I have two families - both share the same surname (Delph). One set I can definitely place in my family tree. The other set start around the same period (1740's) and live in the same area (Wicken and Soham, Cambs). Now, these are two pretty small places and I'm sure that the two families are connected - do you think I can find the connection - CAN I HECK!!! The two "alpha" males that I have, I suspect are brothers. William Delph was born in Wicken, Cambs c1742 and John Delph was born in Wicken (I think) in 1746. I have no parents for either man. How do I find their parents names (apart from buying birth certificates)?? Was there any census' taken shortly after this time? Is the geneaology fairy busy? If she's in a wish granting mood, can I have a new car please - mine is dying!!

Hi Dawn

I fully understand how you feel as i too have the same situation in my tree :confused:

As the births were after 1837, when civil registration started, you can only rely on Parish Records and that will probably be a case of trawling through them. Unfortunately, not all PRs have survived the passage of time so it is not certain that you will find the ones you want.

With respect to census, afraid the earliest one of any use is really the 1851. The 1841 does not show relationship, marital status or actual birthplace and in some cases it was written in pencil so is extemely hard to read because of fading. Early census, if they have survived(most have not) are only head counts so from a family history pouint of view neither use nor ornament.

Sorry to be the voice of doom & gloom.

Good luck
Sue

dawnlea

Hi Sue ;D

No probs. Thanks for your input!! I guess that it's back to the old parish records then. I have a feeling that I have trawled through them at some point in the past, but my brain has started to push all the old info out in order to make space for new stuff!! :2fun:
The search continues!!

do you know where they were buried? if so there may be some clues on the headstone (if there is one), it may also point towards a connection if they were both buried in an area containing other older graves from the same family name.
jon