• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas Blamphin 1833

From
England
Hi
can anyone find anything else on Thomas Blamphin (born 1833 at Oxford), on the 1861 and 1851 Census or IGI please.
He married Eliza Godbeer nee Ashford in East London in 1868
On 1871 census he is with Eliza 38 Chittlehampton, Devon, and daug Ellen b 1860 Chelsea, living in Woking
Was Thomas married before Eliza.
I think he may have changed his name for some reason along with others
In 1841 there is a family living in Adelaide St, Oxford
John Newbury 25 Not in County
Emma 20 No
Charles 7 yes
Caroline 4 yes
James 10m yes
Ann Newbury 50 no
James Nebury 28 no
THOMAS 8 Yes

I believe this family were on 1851 census living in Hartlepool, thus
John Blamphin 35 Sidmouth, Devon,
Emma 32 Pimlico
Charles 16 Pimlico
Caroline 13 Oxford
James 9 Oxford
Thomas 6 Yarmouth
Henry 2 Newcastle on Tyne
George 2m Newcastle
Thomas disappears after 1841 until 1871
Although no record about her so far He is the father of Emma Blamphin aged 22 in 1880 (details from Mge cert). Where was she before her marriage?
thanks
dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

On FMP, searching the 1861 census, I've just been right through the alphabet, using the wild card search, (A*, B* etc) but there isn't a single Thomas, born Oxford, in 1833 +/-2 years, with a name anything like Blamphin!

I did find a Thomas Newman (similar to Newbury) in Birmingham, but he seemed to be with his family.

My conclusion is, either he simply wasn't included or he changed his name again!

Josie

Last edited:
Hi again,

On the 1901censusonline site, I've found (in 1851) a Thomas Bloomfield, (born Oxford) aged 18, living in Lambeth and wondered whether Blamphin could be misheard or mistranscribed as Bloomfield.

On Findmypast, he is not listed as born in Oxford, but is in the same household as Elizabeth Chapman, aged 24, Elizabeth Cox and a family called Cooke. Sorry, I don't have a sub, so I can't look it up!

Best wishes,

Josie

Hi Trace we meet again, thanks for your interest.
Its a right stinker this one.
On 1871 census Thomas Blamphin is recorded as being born Oxford, Oxfordshire
I think we have found Emma Mellett nee Blamphin in 1881, married aged 23 born Brompton, Chelsea. She is a domestic Serv - Nurse at a school in Brighton
Also found James Mellett, her husband in 1881 - 24 married, Porter, lodging at 19 Garden Row Southwark
(this post is linked to another post I made headed James Mellett)

Hiya here goes.
1851 census as transcribed.
john blamphin age 35 sidmouth devon violinist
emma 32 pimlico
charles 16 listed as harpist
caroline 13
james 9 harpist
thomas 6
henry 2
george 2 twins? looks like

all residing 73 northgate street hartlepool. no parish listed , which is strange.
if he was a violinist that would tie in with were he was living as northgate is in the now old hartlepool were the abbey church of saint hilda is.i belive it used to be a shrine with holy relics ect and a very holy place.how do i know i live there haha.well the new part of hartlepool.hope this helps,

Perhaps Ellen and Emma are different people as there is a Ellen Blamphin in 1881 born Brompton, looks more than likely they are sisters as you have Emma born Brompton working in Brighton.

been mooching and found this which seems to tie in.
1881 census
thomas blamphin age 48 born 1833 oxford .listed as warder prison convict
eliza b 1833 chittlehampton devon
earnest j mellet age 7 mnths grandson
dwelling at 8 prison cottages woking surrey.
suex.ps still looking

Hi Julie
Yes your last post is what I was thinking, There is something queer before 1871. If you look at the census returns of 1841 and 1851 on my first posting. The name Newbury is on 1841 then I'm sure the same paople are called Blamphin in 1851.
There is also a Thomas aged 8 on the 1841 census, which I think is my Thomas. He may be called Newbury but I still can't find him from then until 1871
If I have got it right, his wife Eliza aged 38 in 1871 was called Eliza Godbeer, and they married in East London 1868. Emma isn't with her in 1861, so is she an illegit child of Thomas before he wed Eliza, as she was born 1860

Hi Dave,

Found this birth, see what you think.

Year 1865
Sarah Emma Meyrick Blamphin
District West Derby
Jul/Aug/Sept 1/4

Last edited:
Hi Susan
thanks for your interest
I think the census return you posted has some bearing. If you look at the first message of this thread, the people are called Newbury, and there is a boy Thomas aged 8, who I think is my Thomas, - he is 38 the next time I can find him on 1871 census
dave

Hi Susan
You have hit on the parents Thomas /Eliza, of my James. I/m ok with him after 1871, Its before this that I've got the problem.
You are correct in that Eliza was married previously, but Emma is not recorded with her in 1861
dave

Hi Julie
Yes I'm getting confused as well. I dont think the Lancashire Blamphins are involved with this post. I will keep a record of what you have found just in case.
I do however think you could have found a link with your Ann Newbury Blamphin, born Yarmouth as this ties in the two names

dave

Hi Dave,

The marriage for Eliza has her as a spinster, if I have the right one in 1841 she is a Godbeer, but there is an Eliza Godbeer and husband Henry Godbeer on the 1861 census, an alternative surame of Ashford has been submitted for Eliza, that family are on the 1871 census in Devon.

Back