• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas brown

michelle28

I have hit a brick wall and honestly dont know where to look next :'(

I am searching for information regarding my great x 3 grandfather.
What I do know, I found on the marriage register and his son's birth certificate.
He was born in 1827 at Liverpool, England. I have no idea when he came to Australia or why, (which is what I am looking for) but he was married St Peters Church, Bourke Victoria on 9 August 1852. His occupation was listed as a stationer , age 39
He married ANNIE GEE POTTS from Nottingham England. She came to Australia in 1851 with her sister as unassisted passage.
Their first and only son ARTHUR ERNEST BROWN was born 14 years later in 1866 at Ballarat West.
ANNIE died 30 Nov 1881 age 46 at Waterloo in Sydney. Her death certificate states Thomas Brown as her husband but does not state if he was deceased or not. The informant was William Shaw (friend of the deceased). Im wondering what happened to Thomas Brown. If anyonce can help I will be eternally grateful as I am afraid I have reach the end of the line.
Thank you
Michelle Brown

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Michelle,

I presume this is her death:

4205/1881 BROWN ANNIE G GEORGE F ANNIE WATERLOO

I can't see any death or funeral notice in the SMH in early Dec 1881.

I'm curious because the reg # looks more like a death around April.

Regarding passenger lists, there are so many arrivals in Australia that can't be found. As to why Thomas came that's almost impossible to answer. Do you have his parents names?

Regards,

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
I found this on what appears to be Annie's death. This is all the newspaper had tho.

The Sydney Morning Herald
Monday 16 January 1882

BROWN - waterloo, Annie Gee Brown - 47

Michelle have you searched the Australian newspapers for Thomas? Might be a LONG LONG read to go through all the Thomas Brown's tho:biggrin:
Link below for you incase you havent got it

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Gee, gibbo, why didn't I search for Gee? :D

I will not estimate how long it might take to go through all the Thomas BROWNs who died in NSW between 1866 and 1930. :rolleyes:

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) - Tuesday 3 January 1882 p.1

Seems to indicate that Thomas is still alive. ??? Wellington street Waterloo.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I just figured work with Annie to see if that leads us to Thomas, Annie having the unusual second name makes it easier.

Found this in the NSW state archives.
It appears Annie had a probate. Could be interesting to obtain, might have something about Thomas if he was still alive when she passed.

Series 3-6452 Item Annie Gee Brown - Date of death 31 December 1881, Granted on 10 February 1882.

Not sure if the link will open on the exact page or not tho:confused:

http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/ResultList.aspx

Michelle, 14 years is a long time back then to be married before having a baby:confused: Maybe they lost a couple of babies:confused:

On the marriage cert. for Thomas and Annie does it have parents names for Thomas?

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Michelle,

Did Annie have an occupation? Grocer for example? Longdown street ? Ok, a different BROWN.

What was Thomas' occupation? Stationer.

I only have access to Sands Directories for Newtown area so a wider search will have to wait.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954)
Tuesday 3 January 1882

BROWN - At her residence, 100, Wellington Street, Waterloo, Annie Gee, beloved wife of Thomas Brown, second daughter of the late Robert Potts, of Swanton - Street Melbourne, formally lace manufacturer, of Nottingham - aged 47 years.

Would that mean that Thomas was still alive then? :confused: Her father is noted as "late" but Thomas isnt:confused:

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954)
Friday 20 August 1852

On Monday, 9th inst., by special license, at St Peter's Church, by the Rev Archdeacon Davis, Mr Thomas Brown, Bookseller, Geelong, to Annie, youngest daughter of Mr Robert Potts, draper, &c, London and Melbourne.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Might be of some interest

BROWN, Mr. & Mrs. Thomas (Stationer)
14 April 1853 Removed to Moorabool Street two doors from Royal Oak Hotel.
11 April 1855 Closing his Victorian Circulating Library - books sent to Ballarat.
2 January 1857 Bookseller & Stationer, Moorabool Street.
11 August 1859 Reprint of 8-year-old book 'Language of the Aborigines of Colony of Victoria'.
20 September 1866 Son born 14 September 1866 at Ballarat - late Geelong

https://www.geelongaustralia.com.au... Geelong Advertiser Index 1850-1866 A-McL.pdf

Hope the link works, its where i found the above information. Probably stuff you already know anyway:biggrin:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Found a picture of the reprint of 'Language of the Aborigines of Colony of Victoria' that Thomas did. Hope i got the right Thomas Brown all along otherwise we have learnt alot about someone elses Thomas:biggrin:

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I agree with you gibbo. Thomas was still alive and it's the right Thomas. We need a look up of the Sands Directories outside the Newtown area for a Thomas BROWN, stationer or book seller or publisher...

gibbo

Loyal Member
Good that info gave us some stuff to work with, i was looking at Ballarat until i found that marriage notice info which gave Geelong and i followed that. If we keep following his trail we will nail him:biggrin:
I agree he would be listed under something to do with books and writing and stuff. Hope someone can help with that part of it for us:)
If we can narrow some years down might be able to find his death etc.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I searched TROVE using Brown & Gee and didn't find Thomas after 1881.

1903 Electoral Roll possibly. If not there then the search becomes 1881 - 1903 and not that many deaths in the inner suburbs of Sydney. Can't assume it will be registered in Waterloo.

michelle28

Did Annie have an occupation? Grocer for example?

Hi Dave,
Firstly, thank you so much for helping me with my search, your information is invaluable and I really cant thank you enough.

Annies death certificate states her occupation as ' A private life', I guess that means she never worked. Her parents were George Frederick Potts, occupation - Lace manufacturer, Mother is Annie Unknown
Address is Wellington St Waterloo, which you mention in your last post.
It states Children of Marriage Arthur Brown 15 years old - living, none deceased.
So I dont think they did have any other children, makes the 14 years gap between marriage and only child all the more amazing.
Im wondering if Thomas was still alive, why was he not the informant.
Thanks Dave :)
Michelle

michelle28

I presume this is her death:

4205/1881 BROWN ANNIE G GEORGE F ANNIE WATERLOO

I'm curious because the reg # looks more like a death around April.

Hi Dave,
The date of death on the certificate is 31st November 1881 at Wellington st Waterloo, which is strange because November only has 30 days.
The burial date is 7th Jan 1881. Not sure what the registra was drinking when the certificate was completed :D.She was buried at Neocropolis (is that the old name for Rookwood cemetery ?)

michelle28

Michelle, 14 years is a long time back then to be married before having a baby:confused: Maybe they lost a couple of babies:confused:

On the marriage cert. for Thomas and Annie does it have parents names for Thomas?[/QUOTE]

Hi Gibbo, I will be ordering the probate records today, thanks you so much for finding that for me.
There is no mention of Thomas's parents names. Her death cert states
Annies parents were George Frederick Potts - Lace manufacture and mother was Annie unknown.
It also states she had 1 son-Arthur Brown - living, none deceased.
So looks like thay only had the one.

michelle28

BROWN, Mr. & Mrs. Thomas (Stationer)
14 April 1853 Removed to Moorabool Street two doors from Royal Oak Hotel.
11 April 1855 Closing his Victorian Circulating Library - books sent to Ballarat.
2 January 1857 Bookseller & Stationer, Moorabool Street.
11 August 1859 Reprint of 8-year-old book 'Language of the Aborigines of Colony of Victoria'.
20 September 1866 Son born 14 September 1866 at Ballarat - late Geelong

Hope the link works, its where i found the above information. Probably stuff you already know anyway:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Gibbo, you are a legend.....I knew nothing about the above. I have always searched the Ballarat area.
I wonder what 'Removed from Moorabool street' means. Do you think that means they were evicted ?

michelle28

Oh thats strange isnt it? Annie's marriage and death notices in the newspaper both state father as Robert Potts:confused:[/QUOTE]

Gibbo, Im confused too. I'm looking at the death cert, it is definately George Frederick Potts.

The witnesses for Thomas and Annies marriage was
James Williams of Melbourne and Eliza Anne Potts of Melbourne.

gibbo

Loyal Member
:eek:Maybe he didnt like his name so called himself Robert:2fun::2fun:

Serious now, have you found a birth for Annie? With her second name of Gee hopefully it wouldnt be to hard to find. She would have been born a couple of years before registration come in tho so no birth cert. would be available and will have to go by baptism records instead. The lace work is right on both accounts, cert. and the newspaper.

I have seen cases of where the mum has married a brother in law after hubby has died, if the baptism dont confirm anything that could be another avenue to check, if Richard is infact George or if they could be brothers If its was just the death notice that had Richard i probably wouldnt be bothered about it as the death details are only as good as the informant gives but with a marriage cert one would think she was well and truly alive then that those details would be right. Oh it gets confusing at times :biggrin:

As for Ballarat thats where i had been looking as well, until i found Thomas and Annie's marriage in the newspaper and it mentioned him from Geelong so had a little dig around and found that stuff on him.

I have no idea what the "removed" part could have meant. Could be several things i guess such as if they were renting they may have had to move for some reason. Someone else might be able to answer that one for you better than i can:)

Last edited: