• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas Cooper. 1804. Princes Risborough, Bucks.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
This man is mentioned in another post, and I was just wondering, why a rural labourer, would end up in Portsmouth, and become a Beerhouse Keeper.

I can see the draw of all those Naval men, wanting to wash the salt from their throats. But it seemed a bit extreme to end up there, and far away from Princes Risborough.

There is a prison hulk record, that indicates a Thomas Cooper, aged abt 22, being convicted for life, and is received onto the Leviathan in 1830. Convicted in Aylesbury, Bucks, for Felony.

If this is he, how did he not serve out his sentence , and return to Princes Risborough, marry in 1834 Princes Risborough, and return to Portsmouth by 1841.:confused:

If the Hulk record isn't him, I still wonder why he would end up in Portsmouth.
There a few surnames who were also convicted at Aylesbury, that are familiar, but not related to me.,,,,,,as yet.:rolleyes:

Steve.:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
There is a prison hulk record, that indicates a Thomas Cooper, aged abt 22, being convicted for life, and is received onto the Leviathan in 1830. Convicted in Aylesbury, Bucks, for Felony.

If this is he, how did he not serve out his sentence , and return to Princes Risborough, marry in 1834 Princes Risborough, and return to Portsmouth by 1841.:confused:
It appears by the newspaper article that the above Thomas was transported.
So not your fella.

I emailed you the articles.

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Gibbo. Yep.....William Juffs, of Temple Square, Aylesbury, was the man he robbed of ,a flat of butter,.

There's no baptism or marriage for Thomas Cooper in Aylesbury, but there are marriage banns for Thomas Cooper to a Sarah Wheeler MORGAN, in 1829.

She ended up marrying a Michael COOPER in 1833, Aylesbury.

I suppose Sarah Morgan wasn't waiting about for Thomas Cooper.:eek::2fun::2fun:

I still wonder why my chap moved to Portsea........might never know, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Did the Thomas Cooper you found, make it to Oz.:confused:

Thanks again Gibbo_O0

Steve.:)

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Cooper Thomas Royal Admiral 1830 1830 November Port Jackson AO NSW Convict Indents Fiche No. 677

Age 22. Ploughman, milks, reaps & sows, native of Oxfordshire. Tried at Aylesbury 1st March 1830 and sentenced to Transportation for Life for stealing butter. Assigned to Matthew Chapman at Williams River on arrival
---------------------------------------------

Cooper Thomas Royal Admiral 1830 1837 Newcastle GRC

Assigned to Simon Kemp
-----------------------------------------------

Cooper Thomas Royal Admiral 1830 1844 23 November Newcastle MM

Obtained ticket of leave

http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php?page=3&surname=&ship=royal admiral 1830&firstname=

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well that's sorted him out.;):2fun: Couldn't be in Oz in 1844, and Portsea in 1841. Never mind getting married.

William Turvey on the same convict ship as him, married in 1827, Aylesbury, to Susannah Shipley.

Susannah Turvey shacked up with a George Brown in Brill, Bucks. Looks like she had some 'love children'.

Happy to send our butter nappers to Oz.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Last edited: