• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas Griffith KING, born Warrington 1908.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'm looking for the birth of Thomas Griffith KING, born 1908 Warrington and the names of his parents.

The birth can't be found in FreeBMD and now FindMyPast has the records of FFHS the free search is virtually useless. It gives you the first and last names on the page!! If there are more than two names does that really mean you can't even see all the names in the index for free?

Perhaps I should have put this in the 1901 census look up even though I don't have his parents.

Thanks.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello pejay,

Thanks for looking. No, not 100% sure what I've been given is correct. That's why I'm still searching for evidence. The only thing I'm sure about is that his middle name is Griffith. It appears as such on the Electoral Rolls in Australia.

Perhaps a 1901 census look up might work??

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I now have this:

Service Record
Name KING, THOMAS
Service Australian Army
Service Number N169868
Date of Birth 3 Jun 1908
Place of Birth WARRINGTON, ENGLAND
Date of Enlistment 11 Feb 1942
Locality on Enlistment MOREE, NSW
Place of Enlistment MOREE, NSW
Next of Kin KING, VERA
Date of Discharge 30 Sep 1945
Rank Private
Posting at Discharge 29 BATTALION VOLUNTEER DEFENCE CORPS PART TIME DUTY
WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display
Prisoner of War No

Dave

pejay

Valued Member
struggling to find anything that fits - no mention of a Thomas Griffith King anywhere :'( do you think he used his middle name? I found a Thomas King in June qr of 1908 at Chorlton, Lancs 8c pg 863, not sure if this helps, where is Chorlton in relation to Warrington? do you think you should see if you can get a cert? when did he emigrate? sorry to ask so many questions by the way. I did have a quick look on the 1901 census but not knowing any of the family's first names it was a pointless exercise really. I also checked the free index to the 1911 census. but no Thomas Griffith King born in Warrington 1908 :)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello pejay,

Thanks for looking. It's about 11 miles but I really don't know. I don't know when he came to Australia and I have no death record and no access to his army record because not enough time has passed for it to be viewable on National Archives. This was for a friend. He is not in my tree.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello pejay,

Let's assume the date he gave when he enlisted is incorrect. I have found this one too:

Births Dec 1910
KING Thomas G Chorlton 8c 843

This is from left field and may not be correct, but then again...

Marriages Jun 1908
GRIFFITH Ethel Alice M Watford 3a 1459
KING Frank Watford 3a 1459

Regards,

Dave

pejay

Valued Member
This does seem fairly positive, maybe he did not know his correct d.o.b.?, quite a few people were given a middle name which was the maiden surname of their mother, this was fairly common, I wonder if he ever used it? it would perhaps explain why we can't find it!.I notice on ancestry someone has/had a family tree which matched the names, but I can't get on it, and all that comes up is they can't find it, and owner may have removed it.It may be as well for your friend to perhaps follow this line a with a very open mind, and see if any fresh leads appear! :)

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello pejay,

Yes, there is not much more I can do to help. I have seen the WorldConnect trees but they have obviously seen the dob on the service record too, so that date is being taken as fact by several.

Regards,

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 22
DaveHam9 1881 Census Request 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 7
DaveHam9 Births 8
DaveHam9 1841 Census Request 3
M English Genealogy Roots 3