• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas & Mary COLEMAN

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

The Sydney Morning Herald - Monday 15 December 1856 p.1
DEATHS
On Friday evening the 12th instant, at his residence, Dale-street, Chippendale, Thomas Coleman, painter, aged 74 years.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 31 January 1863 p.1
DEATHS
On the 27th January, in the 76th year of her age, Mary Coleman, relict of the late Thomas Coleman, house painter, an old and respected colonist, leaving a numerous family to lament their loss.

Arrived with daughter Sarah b. abt 1814 Ireland

Family arrived in Australia about 1831 some claim ???

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'm having a problem with this site. I can't edit any posts or post two to the same topic in a row.

We have a problem:

V183380 126/1833 GANDON ANDREW FLOOD SARAH LD= St Mary's RC Sydney

SAG 0006
St Mary's Sydney Page 13 No 80
14 October 1833 I married
Andrew Gandon per Crocodile
Sarah Flood per Maria Ann
Witnesses: Thomas Coleman, William Whilan ?, Catherine Whilan ?
Rev. John McEncroe

Name: Sarah GANDON
Date of Death: 9 Jun 1875
Place: 9 William Lane, Off Bourke Street Woolloomooloo NSW
***: Female
Conjugal Status:
Place of Birth: Dublin
Time in Aust Colonies: 43 years in NSW

Father: Thomas COLEMAN
Mother: Mary WARD

Place of Marriage: Sydney
Age at Marriage: 19
Name of Spouse: Andrew GANDON
Children of Marriage: William, Hannah, Andrew, Peter, Living; 2 Females Deceased

Informant: P J GANDON, Son, 9 William Lane

Cause of Death: Pneumonia and Gangrene of the Right Lung
Length of Illness: 11 Days
Medical Attendant: Dr WRIGHT
Date Last Seen: 8 Jun 1875

Date of Burial: Not Stated
Place of Burial: Not Stated
Minister & Religion: Not Stated
Undertaker: Not Stated
Witnesses:

Ref No.: 1875/1349

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Why is her name Sarah FLOOD?

Sarah was born in Dublin so are her parents Irish or was Thomas English and posted to Ireland while in the army?

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ok that case closed then.

But why was she noted as Sarah Flood. Could she have been step daughter to Coleman maybe:confused: Maybe her mother had been married before to a Flood. Maybe Sarah went under the Coleman name re passenger list and used Flood for official stuff re marriage.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, lot's of possibilities including the minister was hard of hearing. But he did get Thomas Coleman right as a witness.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
...Arrived with 3 sons and 2 daughters...
I only have details of Sarah. Knowing where and when the others were born would help if we can find them.

An almost impossible task. If the children died in NSW then the death reg probably only list age and no parents. We have no names and ages for the children on the shipping record.

Only one birth 1832-1860 and it may not be the same family:

V18443235 28/1844 COLEMAN SALLY A - THOMAS - MARY A

Two at the church where Sarah married:

V183370 129/1833 SWEENY THOMAS - COLEMAN BRIDGET LD= St Mary's RC

V18421571 92/1842 SMITH JOHN - COLEMAN CATHERINE LD
V1842705 130/1842 SMITH JOHN - COLEMAN CATHERINE LD

Only two daughters arrived so one does not fit.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Two more:

V183375 129/1833 COLEMAN PATRICK - CARROLL CATHERINE LD

V1844245 131/1844 COLEMAN JAMES - FLANAGAN CATHERINE LD
V18442562 93/1844 COLEMAN JAMES - FLANAGAN CATHERINE LD

Can't be this death:

23258/1936 COLEMAN PATRICK - THOMAS - MARY - RANDWICK

There are 8 others but they only fit if parents are wrong on the reg.

There are too many deaths for a James to even think about checking them.

This death does not fit if age at death and age for Thomas in 1832 are both correct.

7156/1882 SWEENY BRIDGET AGE 81 YEARS DIED PARRAMATTA PARRAMATTA

An impossible number of Catherine SMITHs. This one would have to be about 110 to fit:

725/1926 SMITH CATHERINE - THOMAS - MARY - REDFERN

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
This one caught my eye although it implies one son died young for it to fit and that the other brother was Joseph. Age fits.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 31 May 1873 p.1
DEATHS
On the 23rd instant, at Singleton, in the 62nd year of his age, after a protracted illness, JAMES COLEMAN, painter, formerly of Sydney, and only brother of Mr. Joseph Coleman, builder. His end was peace.

6375/1873 COLEMAN JAMES AGE 61 YEARS DIED SINGLETON PATRICKS PLAIN

743/1889 COLEMAN JOSEPH - COLEMA DIED SYDNEY SYDNEY
3863/1890 COLEMAN JOSEPH - UNKNOWN UNKNOWN BURWOOD

The Sydney Morning Herald - Monday 29 April 1889 p.1
Deaths
COLEMAN.-April 28, at his residence, Ryder-street, Surry Hills, Joseph Coleman, contractor, in the 70th year of his age.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Because that's the one in my tree. :2fun:

I wish they were all listed with place of birth. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the painter and the contractor are sons of Thomas, the painter.

I can't find any Chelsea Hospital record for Thomas that fits him being 40 in 1832.

I will try to find those 4 marriages at St Mary's next week, probably Thursday so I can shop on the way home by bus.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes. I've been in contact with Martin. Interesting that neither of us has solved the Sarah FLOOD mystery.

John PAINTER had not been long in the colony of NSW before he began to establish for himself a reputation for trouble. Between 1822 and 1827 he absconded from custody on at least five occasions, and was finally sent to the penal colony of Moreton Bay for three years. Upon his return from Moreton Bay in 1830 he was soon on the run once more, absconding from his employer, Mr Hawkins of Blackdown near Bathurst. This time he managed to remain at liberty for several years, adopting the identity of Andrew GANDON, a sailor who had recently arrived in the colony, and whose discharge certificate, or a forged copy of it, had somehow come into John's possession.

This was the explanation given to the Governor by the man who employed John Painter as to how the marriage was allowed:

"During that period his Banns were published in the Parish Church of Bong Bong to be married to a female prisoner of the crown assigned to Mr and Mrs Kennedy, under the name of Andrew Gandon, designated free, which I presume could not have been done without due authority. He also held a discharge from His Majesty's Ship Crocodile under the last mentioned name, which I had no means of ascertaining was a forgery, and therefore I in perfect confidence hired him."

V18341457 18/1834 GANDON ANDREW WAINWRIGHT SUSANNAH CV= CofE Berrima, Bong Bong, Sutton Forest, All Saints (Co. Camden)

John Painter and Susannah Wainwright were married on 15 September 1834 at Bong Bong, New South Wales. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. John Vincent from Sutton Forest.

Sutton Forest Extract
15 September 1834
Andrew Gandon Bachelor Came free
Susannah Wainwright
Both of the County of Murray
Jno. Vincent

That is only a typed extract of the actual register entry. I presume the original will have that Susannah was a convict and the name of the vessel.

gibbo

Loyal Member
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842)
Thursday 31 May 1832

Shipping Intelligence
ARRIVALS.
Arrived, last night, from Liverpool the 27th December, via the Cape, the brig
Marianne, Mackenzie master, with mer-, chandise, and a number of pensioners and other settlers, for New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land, together with several cabin passengers. By this arrival, we learn that the ship Sophia, with merchandise and passengers for these colonies, was to sail im- mediately after the Marianne.