• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas McConnell/Agnes Robison

emeltee

Loyal Member
Thomas McConnell and Agnes Robison of Kirkcudbright had 8 children between 1800 and 1818.

The only Agnes Robison birth I can find is 1777 Kirkcudbright, the daughter of John Robison and Janet Donaldson. Agnes died 25 Dec 1844 aged 66 and is buried with her husband Thomas in Kirkcudbright churchyard. I have the MI and also a photo of the headstone.

Thomas died 13 Jan 1844 aged 64 which gives him a birth year of c1780. However I cannot find a birth for him nor can I find his marriage to Agnes, nor can I find a death for Agnes other than the date on the headstone. There is nothing coming up on Scotlandspeople. I've tried various spellings of the surname and even just using Christian names but zilch.

They do appear on the 1841 Census along with daughter Janet. However, although it states they were born in Scotland it also states that they were not born in Kircudbrightshire. I'm not sure if this is because at some point it was Dumfries and Galloway.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to where else I can look?

Emeltee

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Janet Mcconnel
Gender Female
Christening Place , KIRKCUDBRIGHT, KIRKCUDBRIGHT, SCOTLAND
Birth Date 09 Sep 1810
Birthplace , Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
Father's Name Thomas Mcconnel
Mother's Name Agnes Robertson

Not finding a marr.

Ellie

emeltee

Loyal Member
Thanks for looking, Ellie.

I have all their children
James 1800
John 1803
Thomas 1804
William 1807
Janet 1810
Mary 1812-1814
Alexander 1815
George 1818-1820

If Agnes is the daughter of John Robison and Janet Donaldson then it looks as though they may well have been following the Scottish naming pattern when naming their children as the second son was called John and the first daughter was called Janet. If this is the case then I would expect Thomas's parents to be James and Mary but noyhing coming up.

Emeltee