• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas Musgrave.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I said that my Thomas Musgrave was in England in 1891 census as a lodger in St Helen Auckland in Durham.

He is on the 1900 census in Fayette, Pennsylvania aged 72 born Dec 1827 England with his married daughter Elizabeth Sutherland nee Musgrave born April 1852 but Thomas's year of emigration says 1887. Why would he emigrate in this time then come back to England by 1891 census then return to America? As said I now know it is the same man through the evidence and the month and year of birth being given for the 1900 US census. Thomas's wife died in 1885 so he probably went to America shortly afterwards.

Could 1887 have just been his official emigration date? Could he have come back for the odd visit to England every now and then?

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,

I would think most things are possible in those days, if you had the money to do so.
I think you have tied up all the names and dates, and I guess you are filling in the blanks now.
Well done mate.:)

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Yes there are too many coincidences otherwise. All the names and dates fit so well. He was a coal miner when he was in England.

Ben

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

That is also more confirmation that it is the right man. My ancestor was a coal miner. In the 1900 census some of his neighbours were coal miners. His son in law was an engineer. Right opportunity for him to emigrate in 1887 from the coal mines of Durham to PA.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
They are very good pictures Steve. I reckon the house my ancestor and his daughter and grandchildren lived looked like the semi detached timber framed house in Fayette.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Update.

I have found a record of his second trip to America. He must have returned to the UK for a year or so as he sailed back out to America on April 6th 1892 and arrived on April 19th 1892.

The Philadelphia passenger lists card indexes say Thomas Musgrave, aged 64, miner, coming to stay with 2 daughters. April 1892. Lord Clive. Page 75, line 38.

Ironically he travelled at the same time as another Thomas Musgrave, farmer aged 61 who was on page 114, line 30.