• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas Parker

Edward

Valued Member
Hi

Could you please look up Thomas Parker Born 1826 in St Mary Extra, Hampshire Father Thomas Parker Born 1798 I know nothing about his father except what is shown on the Marriage certificate of Thomas Parker and Elizabeth Cozens in 1855 occupation shown as fisherman. Son is also shown as Fisherman.

Many Thanks:)

Ed

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Edward,

Found this family living in the civil parish of St. Mary Extra

Mary Parker age 50 occ fish woman
Mary Ann Parker age 25
Hannah Parker age 20
James Parker age 20 occ fisherman
Thomas Parker age 15 occ ag. lab
Charles Parker age 15 occ labourer
Maria Parker age 15
Louisa Parker age 11
Jane Parker age 9
Henry age 4

The ages of 15 and 20 are on the census image.

All born in county

There are another 2 Thomas Parkers 1 born abt 1826 living in the civil parish of Otterbourne and the other born abt 1821 living in the civil parish of Tichfield.

Last edited:

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

Is this entry realy from the 1841 census and not the 1851 as I have noticed that Thomas is 10 years to young for the 1851 Census and it was the 1841 census when the ages were rounded like this?

Many Thanks

Ed

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Edward,

Have you the details for 1851. The only match is born 1826 occ serv born Charlton Hampshire (different place of birth) The ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 in 1841, but not in all cases.

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

I have now found Mary Parker in the 1851 census with some of her children living in Itchen Ferry. Thomas is not with the Family neither is her Husband who should also be Thomas. I suspect that this is the family that I was looking for but it has so far been difficult to show a Connection.

Mary Parker Head Mar 58 Fishermans Wife Dorset Wimbourn
Jane Parker Daur S 32 Nurse Hants Itchen Ferry
James Parker Son S 32 Fisherman Hants Itchen Ferry
Charles Parker Son S 28 Sailor Hants Itchen Ferry
Henry Parker Son S 14 Fisherman Hants Itchen Ferry

Parish: Saint Mary Extra
Ecc Saint Mary
Village: Itchen Ferry

Thomas Parker B c1826 is shown in the 1871 Census as born in Itchen so that fits. His father is shown as Thomas Parker on his Marriage certificate.

Would love to have more information about this family. :biggrin:

Ed

Edward

Valued Member
Hi,

I have now found Mary Parker Widow age 76 born Southampton living with Son Thomas unmarried age 40 born Hants Itchen in the 1861 Census.

This can't be my Thomas as he married in 1855 but could be the Thomas from the 1841 Census So I am now confused. :'(

I can't find any information which shows if any of this is relevant to my Thomas Parker born 1826 in Hants Itchen.

Any help at sorting out the different parker families from Itchen would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ed

sml

Hi Ed,
I'm going to try to help.
I have a theory. Could your Thomas's be missing from the census's because they were away at sea?

I have found, in 1871
St Mary Extra, Dist 4 Page 9

Thomas Parker 45 b 1826 Fisherman
Elizabeth Parker 40
George Parker 15 Fishers boy
William 13
Thomas 10
Fredrick 8
Mary 5
Sarah 2
Ann 2mths (This family are next door to the Trodds.)

Then if you go back to 1861, the same family ten years earlier,
St Mary Extra Dist 3 Page 48
Elizabeth Parker Head 32 Fisherman's wife
George 5
William 3
Thomas 8mths (Again the family are next door to the Trodds.)

Here, Elizabeth is recorded as head and married. I wonder if her husband is away fishing?
What do you think?

Do you have Elizabeth and Thomas's marriage? I think you probably do as it was Elizabeth Cozens he married in 1855.

Also I have found James Parker with Aunt Elizabeth Struggell in 1861 and Charles Parker married to Ellen in 1861.
Would you like the details?

Hope I have been of help.
Sarah.

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Sarah,

Yes, I expect that Thomas is missing from the 1861 census as he was away at sea.

He is in the 71 Census and the 81 Census and I had Elizabeth in the 1861.

Thomas' Marriage certificate to Elizabeth Cozens gives his ocupation as Fisherman and his father as Thomas Parker, Fisherman.

Elizabeth's Father is William Cozens, Fisherman.

However, I have been unable to trace my Thomas Parker Family prior to Thomas's Marriage.

The only entry for Thomas Paker in the earlier census' is the one Julie found for me but the 1861 census shows an other Thomas Parker born four or five years earlier who is also born in Itchen with his mother Mary which suggests that he may be the one in the 1841 census, where ages are rounded down to the nearest 5 years so the age would fit both. Mary's date and place of birth appears to change from census to census.

Mary's husband never appears in a census but she is only shown as a widow in the 1861 census so he could be away at sea. but I don't know if he was called Thomas or not. My Thomas is just to old to have a birth certificate so I haven't been able to identify his mother.

entries for Mary

1841 Census
Mary Parker age 50 occ fish woman y
Mary Ann Parker age 25 y
Hannah Parker age 20 y
James Parker age 20 occ fisherman y
Thomas Parker age 15 occ ag. lab y
Charles Parker age 15 occ labourer y
Maria Parker age 15 y
Louisa Parker age 11 y
Jane Parker age 9 y
Henry age 4 y

Ref: HO 107 / 402/ 11 Page 23

y = born in county

1851 Census Mary Parker
Mary Parker Head Mar 58 Fishermans Wife Dorset Wimbourn
Jane Parker Daur S 19 Nurse Hants Itchen Ferry
James Parker Son S 32 Fisherman Hants Itchen Ferry
Charles Parker Son S 28 Sailor Hants Itchen Ferry
Henry Parker Son S 14 Fisherman Hants Itchen Ferry

Ecc Saint Mary
Village: Itchen Ferry

1861 Census Mary Parker

Address Itchen

Mary Parker Head Widow 74 occ None Born Hants Southampton
Thomas Parker Son Unmarried 40 Occ Fireman Born Hants Itchen

Parish St Mary Extra

1871 Census
Address Itchen

Mary Parker Head W 86 Formerly Laundress Dorsetshire Wimborne

I think Mary is the same person all the way through despite the variations.

It would be interesting to have the details of James and Charles Marriage if it came to it their marriage certificates would show the name of their Father. Which might help. The Parker family appear to come from Itchen Thomas moving to Weston after his marriage.

Many Thanks

Ed

vickyh

Just found this website and all these threads about the Parkers, Cozens and Trodds etc and thought I'd try and help where I can as I'm descended from the St Mary Extra families. (They are all so interrelated they might as well be one big family!)

There is a Thomas baptised 5 Sep 1824. I think this is the Thomas who married Elizabeth Cozens in 1855. Thomas's parents were Thomas Parker (bap 1799) and Martha Thompson (b 1800). Thomas Parker who was married to Martha Thompson died in May 1828 - he drowned with Martha's brother James Thompson. They were fishermen together. Before he died he fathered 4 children, Celia, your Thomas, Martha and James.

Thomas was baptised 4/11/1799 in St Mary's, son of Daniel Parker and Celia Plowman. They had 10 children all together. Daniel was born 1863, son of Richard and Elizabeth and was the 5th of 8 children.

It's tricky researching all these Parkers, particularly as they weren't very adventurous when it came to choosing names, but I hope that takes you back a few generations.

Edward

Valued Member
Hi VickyH,

Many thanks for the information on Thomas and his father it has been very helpful.

welcome to the forum it is great to have new relatives join,

What is your relation to Thomas Parker born 1824 he is my Great Great Grandfather. The Trodd thread gives my relationship to John and Martha Trodd who is also an ancestor of Sarah, Maggie and Hammy.

I hope that you enjoy being a member of our friendly community on this site and manage to learn more about your family with the help of others on the site.

Please post your questions in the relevant forums and the members will try to solve your problems for you!

Thanks again for the information on Thomas :D and welcome to the site.

Yours in friendship

Ed

sml

welcome Vicky,

As Ed has explained, I descend from John and Martha Trodd. Although, no connection with the Parkers or Cozens.
But good to have you onboard.

Regards Sarah.

Edward

Valued Member
Looking for the Parker Children of Thomas Parker and Martha Thompson I found this entry in the 1841 census:
1841 Census

William Quinton 35 BlackSmith y
Martha Quinton 40 y
William Quinton 9 y
Emma Quinton 7 y
John Quinton 5 y
Ann Quinton 1 y
Martha Parker 15 y

Parish Saint Mary Extra
Ref: HO 107 / 402 / 11 Page 21

Following this I found this marriage on Family search.

GI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0

MARTHA PARKER

Marriages:
Spouse: WILLIAM QUINTON
Marriage: 04 MAR 1832 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

which suggests that Martha Remarried.

searching later census gave me:

1851 Census

William Quinton Head M 49 Blacksmith Hants Southampton.
Martha Quinton Wife M 50 Needle woman Hants Itchen Ferry
William Quinton Son S 19 Fisherman Hants Itchen Ferry
Charles Quinton Son S 7 Scholar Hants Itchen Ferry

Vilage: Itchen Ferry

1861 Census
Address: Lindock Place

William Quinton Head M 59 Labourer St Mary Southampton
Martha Quinton Wife M 60 Itchen Southampton
William Quinton Son S 28 Mariner Itchen Southampton

Hamlet: Woolston

1881 Census

Address Obelisk Road

Martha Quinton Head W 81 Laundress & Mangle Hants Itchen
William Quinton Son S 49 Fisherman Hants Itchen

Parish: St Mary Extra
Village: Woolston
RSD : South Stoneham
Ecc: St Marks

Ref: RG 11 / 1217 Page 12

I couldn't find her in the 1871 Census.

I am not sure how to confirm this. But the 1841 census entry suggests that it is Martha Parker.

Many Thanks

Ed

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Vicky,

Thomas was baptised 4/11/1799 in St Mary's, son of Daniel Parker and Celia Plowman. They had 10 children all together. Daniel was born 1863, son of Richard and Elizabeth and was the 5th of 8 children.
Do you mean 1763 as Daniel's year of Birth?

Many Thanks

Ed

vickyh

I am not sure how to confirm this. But the 1841 census entry suggests that it is Martha Parker.

Many Thanks

Ed
I'll check through my notes and see if I have anything that corresponds. otherwise I'll make a note to check the marriage record when I next go to the Southampton Archives.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1841 Census Request 3
DaveHam9 Deaths 10
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 9
DaveHam9 Births 11
DaveHam9 Births 9
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 1