• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Thomas PERRIE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Thomas PERRIE b. 1897 Dalmuir, Scotland d. after 1954

1897 PERRIE THOMAS M OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0147
- parents James PERRIE & Annie BURNS

Civil parish: Old Kilpatrick
RD: Old Kilpatrick
4 Union Place
James Perrie age 30 occ ship yard lab born Stoneykirk
Ann B wife age 27 born Stoneykirk
Thomas son age 4 born Old Kilpatrick
Andrew son age 1 month born Old Kilpatrick

Arrived in Australia. ???

Married in Queensland on 8 Dec 1921.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Alison,

Thanks. That's probably him.

He married in 1921 but I don't know where in Queensland.

I don't have him earlier than 1936 or later than 1954.

1936 QLD Electoral Roll - Moreton - Southport
PERRIE Marie Pauline, Westbury, via West Burleigh, home duties
PERRIE Thomas, Westbury, via West Burleigh, dairyman

1954 QLD Electoral Roll - Griffith - Buranda
PERRIE Thomas, 20 Wilton st., Woolloongabba, labourer
PERRIE Marie Pauline, 20 Wilton st., Woolloongabba, home duties
PERRIE Walter Thomas, 20 Wilton st., Woolloongabba, builder's labourer

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I have Thomas Perrie in my tree as well as he married one of my grandmothers sisters.

I can't find out where he was born as yet, but I do know he served in the Australian Army in WW1 as he received the Military Medal. There is a detailed article on the Australian War Memorial site, but I can email the article to you if you like.

So if he did come to Australia, it would have been prior to WW1.

I believe he got married at Logan or Bethania, but haven't clarified that as yet, or possibly Southport as that is where most of the Goll girls got married.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Justine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Justine,

Thanks.

I'll check out his service record. I normally check such things so somehow missed him. Perhaps I assumed he arrived after the war.

Regards,

Dave

HI Dave

I also found on his service record that he was living with his mother Annie Perrie (nee Burns) when he enlisted at Milton and Ipswich Road, South Brisbane. So that might give us more information.

His service number is 2827.

cheers
Justine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
So Thomas died after this date:

The Salvation Army Men's Industrial Home
12 Blackwood Street Townsville
24 April 1968

Letter he wrote to the Army with a request for Long Service Medallion.

Electoral Roll Thomas Perrie 1968 Queensland Herbert (mainly Townsville)

He is not listed in 1972.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

I can't find anymore records for him either. I have been trying the cemetery records but can't find anything on him or his wife.

I don't know why he would have been in Townsville in 1968 as all of his children lived in Brisbane.......will check more into that.

I know that his wife died in 1955, but he is listed at Red Hill in Brisbane in 1963........

What is the Long Service Medallion?

cheers
Justine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, well that's curious because it says it needs 15 years service after WWII. :eek:

I can't find anything yet about a WWI medal/medallion for Long Service.

Hi Dave

I only know that he won the Military Medal in WW1, and there is a citation on the Australian War Memorial website about it.

Not sure about this Long Service Medal.......

He enlisted in 1915 and was discharged in 1919...and didn't join the army again as far as i am aware...very confusing.

I have checked with mum about his death, and she said he never lived in Townsville....so think that might be another Thomas Perrie. Not sure when he died though. He was living at Red Hill and Fairfield in the 60's but can't find anything on the records for that.

cheers
Justine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Justine,

It's the same Thomas. It's a letter in his service record he wrote to the army quoting his service number and the fact he was awarded the MM. Perhaps he got the wording wrong in his letter. But, then again I can't think of what medal/medallion he was requesting. There is no reply in his records saying they did or didn't understand what he was requesting.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I think I have solved the mystery of the letter regarding the medal. I was speaking to mum and she said that when Uncle Tom was engaged to Auntie Marie they had a huge fight and he threw his military medal into the bush. He never found it, but they did get married.

So, i can only think maybe he was trying to get a replacement for the original medal that he threw away? Maybe his wording it just wrong in the letter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Justine

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Justine,

That might be true but I doubt he was requesting a replacement for the MM. Have you seen the letter? I can get it and send you a copy if you want.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I've checked the deaths in Queensland and can confirm the whole family ended up in Australia. They may or may not have travelled together.

Deaths
1913/B18586 Perrie James - James Perrie - Elizabeth Herron - Died 25 Nov 1913
1929/B07489 Perrie Alexander - James Perrie - Annie Burns
1935/B26422 Perrie Andrew - James - Annie Burns
1946/B07508 Perrie Annie Burns - Thomas Burns - Mary -

Civil parish: Old Kilpatrick
RD: Old Kilpatrick
4 Union Place
James Perrie age 30 occ ship yard lab born Stoneykirk
Ann B wife age 27 born Stoneykirk
Thomas son age 4 born Old Kilpatrick
Andrew son age 1 month born Old Kilpatrick
Thomas enlisted on 12 Aug 1915 and his mother (Annie) was listed as NOK and living in Brisbane. He was awarded the MM for action in France.

So arrived 1901 - 1913,15 ???

Last edited: