• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

THOROGOOD - Braintree & Hackey, London

My grandfather Frederick Walter Thorogood immigrated to Australia in 1913, he enlisted in 1914 to serve in WWI - was at the landing at Gallipoli - wounded and returned to Australia 2.11.15. I have his service records.
My great grandfather and great grandmother were Alfred and Augusta Thorogood (nee Woollard) from Braintree, Essex.
Their children were: Leonard - born 1884, May - born 1886, George - born 1888, Frederick (my grandfather) - born 1893, Horace - born 1895/96? I believe there was another sister called Ann/Anne/Annie?
My father, who is now in his mid 80's met Charles (CF) Thorogood, Doris Thorogood, Horace and Hilda Thorogood (nee Sheldrick), Len and Connie Thorogood in 1949 (cousins and uncles/aunts).
Most of my line of Thorogoods come from Braintree, Essex and Hackeny, London. Doris was living at Clacton-on-Sea (have found a death of a Doris May - Birth 8.4.1899 - Death Nov 1990, who died at the age of 91 at Ipswich, Suffolk (which is not far from Clacton-on-Sea).
I have a marriage of George Thorogood (Fred's brother) - He married an Ethel E Wright at Braintree in 1921 - Age 33. Possible children: Betty, Donald, George and Raymond??
Horace (Bill??) Thorogood married Hilda Sheldrick in 1924 - Age 29. Died in 1967 Essex. They apparently had no children.
I can't find a marriage yet of Leonard Thorogood to Connie (presume Constance). They apparently moved to London and had had 3 children (2 girls/1 boy) in 1949. I have a death of a Leonard C in 1940, age 56 at Hackney, London, (the dates tie in exactly).
Have found a marriage in 1905 of May Augusta Thorogood, age 20, in Braintee, Essex. Can't find her in the 1911 Census!
As I will be coming to England this year, I was wondering if anyone can give me information of burials etc and also where some of the above siblings/relatives are today?
Thank you.
Much appreciated!
Kind regards, Marilyn:)