• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Too many Alexander's

amack5

From
Scotland
According to my Gt grandfather's marriage certificate he was not registered at birth but was born on 12 May 1832 in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. His name was Alexander Lessels/Lesils/Lesslie - there are so many miss spellings or variations of the surname.
His parents were Alexander Lesels/Lesslie etc and Eliz Durie. There are so many Alexander's in the locality so I need to confirm which is the correct father and his (father's) BMD details before I can research further. I don't want to go down the wrong avenue.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Hi Amack 5

I have searched the marriages for his parents from 1825 to 1854 and could find nothing for any of the spellings and with soundex on.

It was not unusual for them not to register the birth especially if they lived in the country. They usually got married though, although I have known that not happen even with my own grandparents !

I am not sure how you are going to get around this unless you can find him on the census of 1841 and 1851 for preference.

Nainmaddie

Thanks nainmaddie,

I don't think they did marry as his name does not appear with the family in the 1841, 1851 census' as far as I can see.

- but there is Alexander Lessell, Labourer, age 45 Dunfermline in the 1941 ( probably too young) census OR Alexander Lesels, I think it says Widower, age 46, Mason's Labourer, Largo P(arish?) with amendments.

I'll keep struggling on!!

Back