• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Too many branches!

ptjw7

From
England
I thought I was having too much success following a branch in my tree!
Now cant find the link back to my direct relations!

So why are the side braches so easy to follow whilst the main ones lead to brick walls!!

Life gets to difficult at times but following good leads is always so rewarding!

Peter

I can still find finding side relations a struggle.

I am obsessed with finding ancestor siblings and cousins that emigrated. I have several siblings who went to America and some with children who were cousins of direct relations. I have some side relations who seemed to vanish and I am trying to find if they emigrated.

I thought I was having too much success following a branch in my tree!
Now cant find the link back to my direct relations!

So why are the side braches so easy to follow whilst the main ones lead to brick walls!!

Life gets to difficult at times but following good leads is always so rewarding!

Peter

I don't understand why you cannot find the link back to your direct relations.
If you followed the branch forwards in time, surely you started with a direct relation and he/she will be the link?

Or did you perhaps follow the link forwards and their spouse backwards in time?
Cheers
Guy

I use Family tree maker and when you follow the link back you get no indication that you are on the direct branch.

When you follow the main branch the forward link is coloured orange so easy to follow but on a side branch they are all coloured the same!

Its even worse if you follow say an uncle via a second marriage as there are no direct links! except the person marrying second or third time.

My only recourse is to go back to the start of the tree, at least then I am on known ground.

Perhaps I should start a paper tree at least then it will all be visible in the wide so to speak!

Peter

Last edited:
Back