• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tracing death certificates

I would appreciate any and all tips on how to trace death certificates please, birth seem to be not much problem it’s the deaths I can not find. May be there aren’t any and it’s just a case of trial and error but any suggestions would be good.

Robesur

Death certificates since 1837 are found in the same way as birth and marriage certificates. If you can find the entry that you are looking for on Free BMD then the certificate is purchased from the GRO or Registrar of the district where the death took place. The difficulty is in locating the death if the person was not in their normal area of residence at the time of death. Also if a common name identifying which death relates to your relative particularly before 1866 when no ages are given on the index.
Before 1837 no certificates were issued and therefore you need to look through Parish Registers for Burial records.

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi
I'm sure if you list details of the person you are looking for the kind people here will be able to help & give details.
All the best
oznannie