• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tracing family members when not much is known.

I am looking to trace both my mothers and fathers side of the family. I know more about my paternal grandmothers family and can by heart name them back until the 1800's, although I do not know dates of births, passing etc.

With my mothers side, there is very very little known, my mum doesn't even know much and both my aunties say different things. I know my maternal grandmothers maiden name, but that is it. The parts I am looking to find are mainly my maternal grandfathers family as they were seperated during WW2. Where do I begin on my search, I have no idea what to do!

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Emma,

If you can give us what you know, we may be able to help.

If you could put your queries in the most relevant forum, we'll see what we can do for you, to get you on your way.

Welcome to FHUK.

Steve.:)

Hi Emma
If as I suspect we are talking about living people and sensitive information, you may not wish to post it on an open forum. If you make two more posts, (just say hello or give some other info like your grandmothers maiden name). Shortly after your 3rd post (depending if the moderators are awake), your name will turn green and you can then send a private message to a member of your choice. Obviously if you can post the info on the forum, you will stand a better chance of success.

Welcome to FHUK

dave

Last edited:

Ben

And if i can help with look ups off the 2003 & 5 electoral roll, please feel free to ask. If you know an area they may be in, it might be worth a quick look on 192.com first?