• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tracking an ancestors movements inbetween censuses.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
A good way is finding the correct birth, marriage or death certs if you have evidence they moved around inbetween a census.

Ie, my 2xgreat grandfather was aged 21 and single in 1881 but married by 1891.

He married on the 18th April 1886 at St John Fitzroy Square aged 26. He was of 29 Whitfield Street, Fitzrovia, Central london. William Thomas Coombs to Kate Roberts. He had lived in that area of London all his life. Born at Colville Place, near Tottenham Court Road.

When his wife's mother Mary Ann Roberts died in Holborn in 14 November 1886 she said she was Kate Coombs, of 46 College Street West, Camden Town, London a mile or two north.

This means that William and Kate Coombs moved from the Fitzrovia area of London to the quieter area of Camden Town, North London inbetween late April and early November 1886. Their first child was born in May 1887. I estimate they moved away from central London weeks after they married.

Certs, wills, poor law records, electoral rolls, etc are a good way of tracking ancestors movements as well as censuses.

leefer

Loyal Member
A good way is finding the correct birth, marriage or death certs if you have evidence they moved around inbetween a census.

Ie, my 2xgreat grandfather was aged 21 and single in 1881 but married by 1891.

He married on the 18th April 1886 at St John Fitzroy Square aged 26. He was of 29 Whitfield Street, Fitzrovia, Central london. William Thomas Coombs to Kate Roberts. He had lived in that area of London all his life. Born at Colville Place, near Tottenham Court Road.

When his wife's mother Mary Ann Roberts died in Holborn in 14 November 1886 she said she was Kate Coombs, of 46 College Street West, Camden Town, London a mile or two north.

This means that William and Kate Coombs moved from the Fitzrovia area of London to the quieter area of Camden Town, North London inbetween late April and early November 1886. Their first child was born in May 1887. I estimate they moved away from central London weeks after they married.

Certs, wills, poor law records, electoral rolls, etc are a good way of tracking ancestors movements as well as censuses.
Good post Benny though its guesswork to think Camden Town was quieter than Fitzrovia.......Fitzrovia is/was a very sought off area.....in a square.
A bit like Berkely Square.