• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Travels to South Africa

I'm not sure I have enough information really to trace my great great grandfather's travels but wondered whether there was anyway I could find out more info.

My great great grandfather John William Hill travelled to South Africa at some point in his lifetime. According to his son's ww1 papers, he practiced as a doctor when he was there (he was a chemist by trade). My great grandmother wrote she thought he came back due to the outbreak of the boer war (she was researching the family history in the '60s and I've inherited her notes) but this is only speculation I believe.

I believe it was between 1871 and 1881 as he is present on both census records and bearing in mind what my great grandmother thought.

But I don't know where exactly he went.

Also, he married my great great grandmother in 1889 and on his marriage certificate it sates he was a wiodwer. I haven't found any information on this first marriage so could it have happened in SA maybe?

Thanks

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
It will not be easy finding answers to your queries but I'm sure some members here will have a look and try to help.

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Can we have some more information please. Year and where of birth if known. And on the 1881 census was he noted as single or married? Just there are a heap of John William Hill's so need to narrow things down a bit if we can.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
If he married in England and if it was in Essex then this might be it but would have to match them:

Marriages Jun Qtr 1889 - Romford 4a 403
Danby Clara
HILL John William
McCutcheon Samuel
Wilson Clara Stone

Dave

If he married in England and if it was in Essex then this might be it but would have to match them:

Marriages Jun Qtr 1889 - Romford 4a 403
Danby Clara
HILL John William
McCutcheon Samuel
Wilson Clara Stone

Dave
Thank you Dave but that wouldn't be him. He married my great great grandmother Emily Fox on 10 January 1889 as a widower. I've found a William John Hill marrying a Maria Gant in 1884 which could be him if the names have been mixed up.