• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Trees on Ancestry?

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I don't know if its just my family tree but the links on Ancestry don't tally from both sides of a marriage.
One I have now shows 10 trees for the woman and none for the man but the man shows as the woman's husband on the 10 trees:mad:
How this occurs I just don't understand - doing my head in :2fun:

Peter

thecelticbard

Valued Member
The links I have with the "Evans/Davies" syndrome are totally useless. Most of them were born in a variety of other counties of Wales, and all married to people with different names to my ancestors. The mind boggles as to how they can be classed as a link.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I never take any notice of the hints or links on Anc. Waste of time. Pretty much like many Anc trees which are hugely fictional. It does get annoying when a potential mutual ancestor on one Anc tree is said to have been born in 1710 in Suffolk yet baptised 300 miles away in Kendal, Cumbria.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I don't think I have explained it right - what I am referring to is the number of links to family trees for both parties in a marriage.
One link says 5 trees and the other 10 :rolleyes:
When you check the 10 trees they all have the same 2 people as being married so why doesn't the other have 5 trees :rolleyes:
Or am I being to simplistic!

Peter

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
It may come down to the other 5 tree owners frustration at finding the right people or they lost interest, or run out of cash.
A check as to when these 5 tree owners were last online, might give a clue.

I must say, if I was starting a tree today, It would be far easier with the amount of resources that are online now.:rolleyes:

Steve.:)

Ellie7

Loyal Member
"all Content is owned, licensed to and/or copyrighted by Ancestry".

That is any record you put on your tree on Ancestry

Have I got this right ?

Ellie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
"all Content is owned, licensed to and/or copyrighted by Ancestry".

That is any record you put on your tree on Ancestry

Have I got this right ?

Ellie

I'll ask this question on their FB page and see what the reply is.:)

Your web site claims that ......"all Content is owned, licensed to and/or copyrighted by Ancestry"............does that include any or all content, of photo's, records and parish records etc. that are not found on your web site, but entered on my family tree... Do I not own my own records now, or do they become yours, and copyrighted.

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Well, here's the reply......I was directed to terms and conditions A s follows..:rolleyes:

3. User Provided Content
[I]Portions of the Service and Content on the Websites are submitted by you and other users ("User Provided Content"), to which you may contribute appropriate material. User Provided Content includes, but is not limited to, any information you upload to the Websites, any posts you make on our message boards or community forums, and any comments or suggestions you send to us. For User Provided Content, we are merely hosting and providing access as well as providing tools to post and share content, and we cannot accept any liability with regard to such material (including with respect to its accuracy). While we cannot preview or monitor the User Provided Content, we may apply, at our discretion, automated filtering tools monitor and/or delete any content that Ancestry believes to be in violation of this Agreement (for example, we could use automated tools to suppress obscene content). We reserve the right, but do not have the obligation, to act expeditiously to remove or disable access to any User Provided Content that we believe violates this Agreement. We are also sensitive to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of others. For complaints regarding copyright infringement or illegal content, click here.
The decision to upload or share User Provided Content on the Websites is your responsibility and you should only submit or share User Provided Content that belongs to you (or where you have obtained all necessary permissions or consents) and that will not violate the rights of others. Be aware that copyright and other intellectual property rights will normally belong to the creator of the material in question and you should not reproduce or submit anything without permission of the owner. By submitting User Provided Content to any of the Websites, you represent and warrant that you have the right to do so or that you have obtained any necessary third party consents (e.g., under privacy or intellectual property laws). If you submit material to any of the Websites on behalf of a group, organization or business entity, you represent and warrant that you have the right to do so and that you have obtained any consents from the group, organization or business. You agree that you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of the foregoing warranties. Upon our request you agree to furnish Ancestry with any documentation, substantiation and releases necessary and reasonably required to verify and substantiate your compliance with this provision.
By submitting User Provided Content on any of the Websites, you grant Ancestry and its Group Companies a perpetual, transferable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free, license to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to create derivative works of, and otherwise use User Provided Content submitted by you to the Websites, to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. You hereby release Ancestry and its Group Companies from any and all claims, liens, demands, actions or suits in connection with the User Provided Content you submit, including, without limitation, any and all liability for any use or nonuse of your User Provided Content, claims for defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, emotional distress or economic loss. This license continues even if you stop using the Websites or the Services. Ancestry may scan, image and/or create an index from the User Provided Content you submit. In this situation, you grant Ancestry a license to the User Provided Content as described above and Ancestry will own the digital version of documents created by Ancestry as well as any indexed information that Ancestry creates. Except for the rights granted in this Agreement, Ancestry acquires no title or ownership rights in or to any User Provided Content you submit and nothing in this Agreement conveys any ownership rights in such User Provided Content on the Websites. The licenses granted continue for the maximum time permitted by applicable law, even if you stop using the Websites or the Services.
You acknowledge and agree that Ancestry may preserve any User Provided Content and may disclose any User Provided Content (including its origin) if Ancestry believes that it is required to do so by law or that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or governmental requests; (b) enforce the Agreement; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or safety of the Websites, the Users, or the public
.[/I]

If you can make sense of it, let me know.:2fun:

I replied to ask, can you give me a simple YES or a NO. I await the reply.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
I'll ask this question on their FB page and see what the reply is.:)

Your web site claims that ......"all Content is owned, licensed to and/or copyrighted by Ancestry"............does that include any or all content, of photo's, records and parish records etc. that are not found on your web site, but entered on my family tree... Do I not own my own records now, or do they become yours, and copyrighted.

The terms and conditions show you the answer is very simple.

You own your own records.

At the same time by uploading the information to an Ancestry site you have licensed them to use that information in anyway they choose.

Or to put it another way, you own the records but you allow them to use them for as long as they want in any format they want forever.

Cheers
[FONT=&quot]Guy[/FONT]

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I just can't get a simple Yes or No, from Ancestree........and they keep referring back to T&C. I guess from a 'legal' standpoint they have to do it, but I'm not impressed.:mad:

Oh well.....just shows them to be money making company, over customer and product service.:rolleyes:

The site still has errors, after the last major 'upgrade'. They need some new technical support staff to sort it out, as the lot they have at the moment don't seem up to the task.:eek: