• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Trying To Find Granddad's Service Records

christineoa

Hi All,

I have been told by my mum that her father served during the First World War but we have no idea of the regiment etc. My mum recalls that he got injured from getting schrapnel in his leg, and says he also got medals (no idea which ones or what happened to them unfortunately).

My Granddad was William, Frederick Holding born in 1899, Lambeth, London and his parents were Goddard and Harriet Holding. At the time of the 1911 Census the family were living in Lion Street, Southwark, London.

I have found the records of John Holding (Granddad's brother) he was killed in action in 1915 and would dearly love to find out about my Granddad. I know he was an ARP Warden during the Second World War but how can I find out about his service during WW1?

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
Chris x

Hi Dave,

Sorry forgot to ask you as I was so excited where did you find that piece of information?

Christine
Hi Christine
sorry for delay in reply - The snippet was from the 'National Roll of the Great war' from FMP. It is a 15 volume book published just after the war, but its hit and miss if the person you want is in it. - mainly people who survived

dave

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,there are 52 medal cards for a william holding...but only one for a william frederick...which is this one

Description Medal card of Holding, William Frederick
Corps Regiment No Rank
Wiltshire Regiment 27516 Private

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/9

you can hope that someone has access to Ancestry and will look up this man and see if his service or pension record survives,,,if it does there may be info in there which could help you decide if this is the right man.

gortonboy

Loyal Member
regarding the one in the london regiment listed by davelambert,,there are these 2 medal cards...again if there records survive,,you may be able to find out if either of these could be your man

Medal card of Holding, William
Corps: London Regiment
Regiment No: 724051
1914-1920 WO 372/9

Medal card of Holding, William
Corps: London Regiment
Regiment No: 415112
1914-1920 WO 372/9

If your relative was in the 24th London Regiment (The Queens) there was a major reorganisation in May 1915 to avoid confusion which was being caused.
The 24th ended up in the 47th Division. That is, he would have been in the 47th Division, 142 Brigade, 24th Battalion. They all had a very interesting war (depending when he joined). The 24th recruited in the Kennington area which fits your relative.

The 47th Division was in most of the significant battles of WW1 including Loos, Somme, Messines Ridge and Ypres. The losses were unbelievable; at the Battle of Somme the 47th Division lost 4,500 officers and men in 4 days. At the Messines Ridge the 142 Brigade lost 380 officers and 1840 men.

There is a book which gives the history of the 47th Division 1914-1919 by Alan H. Maude – published by The Navel & Military Press. It is not a particularly easy read, since, although Maude does not give his role he was close to the commanders In consequence, he appears to gloss over some of the material but the raw facts in the book speak for themselves. Your relative was very, very lucky to come through it all.

Braveheart and gortonboy thanks for replying and for the information which you have both provided. :)

Am still not sure where my Granddad served though! :( however, I have saved all the information which everyone has posted to my thread.

padua6,

Thanks also for this latest piece of information regarding the reorganisation of the 24th London Regiment and the recommendation of the book. Yes my Granddad was very lucky to survive the war. His older brother John was unfortunately not so lucky and was killed in action in 1915 during the Loos Artois Offensive. It is only since I started my family tree that I have found out about John and my mother was surprised as she didn't even know anything about him.

Many thanks again to all. :)
Kind regards
Christine

There is a memorial cross to the 47th Division on the Somme at a place called High Wood. That is where they suffered the very heavy casualties. The 21st and 24th were attacking the Starfish Line a trench system associated with High Wood and suffered very heavy casualties. Maude does not give the 24th losses but the 21st had 2 offcers and 60 men left out of 17 officers and 550 other ranks. The numbers are unbelievable.

However,there is a book available in print about High Wood. I think that it is called 'The Hell they Called High Wood' by Terry Norman. It is not bad and tends to be an easier read since he fictionalises some of it whereas the Maude book is just factual. After all he lived through it.

Braveheart

Hi christine I have found John on the SDGW disc here is his details

Regiment /Corps Royal Fusiliers(City of London Regiment).
Battalion/Etc - 3rd Battalion.
Surname - Holding Initials - J
Names - John Rank - Private Army number - 8676
Born - Lambeth.
Enlisted - London.
Residence - New Kent Road, S.E.
Died Date - 27/09/1915.
Died How - KIA
Theatre of War - France & Flanders
Best reguards
Braveheart