• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Trying to find marriage for Ramsay/Ramsey

jen2

Valued Member
Looking to a marriage for a Thomas Ramsay/Ramsey born 1812 Northumberland to a Jane. Jane born 1822 Northumberland, they had their first child Mary born 1845 in Bolam.

Jenny

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Jenny,

Two and nothing in the index to help.

Marriages Mar 1846
Ramsey Thomas Newcastle on T 25 396

Mavin Jane Newcastle upon Tyne 25 396
McDonald Jane Newcastle upon Tyne 25 396

Also this one:

Thomas RAMSAY Spouse: Jane TODD
Marriage: 15 MAY 1836 Saint Andrew, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Regards,

Dave

Hi Jen
I have a theory, which may be total nonsense but I think it warrants looking into. I still have to do alot of checking.

I think Thomas married a second wife Jane sometime between 1851 and 1861. She does not appear on census returns before that. In 1851 and 1841 we have a Thomas with Magdalen, but not after this.
If you look on family search Thomas and Magdelen have children
Esther 1839, Mary 1844 and Isabella 1843, all born Bolam. On A---Y there are other children Mary Ann 1835 and William 1847. In 1861 Thomas and Jane have children Mary 1845, William 1847, and that name Isabella crops up again.

It may be that Thomas's father is there as well, as there is a Thomas and Isabella with children Jane 1816, Mary 1818 and Ann 1819 all Bolam

I will send you the info if you cannot find it

dave

Hi
1861 England Census
about Jane Ramsey Name: Jane Ramsey
Estimated birth year: abt 1822
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Thomas Ramsey
Where born: Hartburn, Northumberland, England

Civil parish: Whalton
County/Island: Northumberland

Registration district: Castle Ward
Sub-registration district: Ponteland
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Household schedule number: 66

Thomas Ramsey 49
Jane Ramsey 39
Mary Ramsey 16
William Ramsey 13
Isabella Ramsey 8
Thomas Ramsey 6

dave

jen2

Valued Member
Dave/Oznannie

You both have done so well. So it seems Thomas was married to Magdalen Trewick who later died and he married Jane.

I found a death for Magdalen Ramsay Sept quarter 1853 so Thomas would be the only child born to Thomas & Jane.

I will further look into what you have both given me.

Thanks again

Jen

jen2

Valued Member
Have received a copy of Thomas and Magdalen's Marriage Certificate and on the certificate where it has Age it states of age, with his fathers name listed as William Ramsay - Profession - Steward. The problem is I cannot find a Thomas born 1811/12 to a William (going by his age on the 1851/61 census) I found a birth in 1808 for a Thomas father William but do not know if this is the right one. How can I find out if this is the Thomas I am looking for?

Jenny

Hi Jen
Difficult without looking at Parish registers. However, have you membership of Ancestry?. There are two trees at least, with Thomas on them. One goes further back in time, about 3 generations, with parish reg refs, but does not give Thomas's wife. It gives William and Isabella (that name again) as parents. The other comes forward in time from William. If this tree is not yours, or you do not have access, I can try and give you info from them, or better still if you send me your email address by PM, I'll send it to the tree owners, asking them to contact you.

dave

jen2

Valued Member
Dave,
Yes I do have membership with Ancestry and one of those trees is mine. I have sent messages to others researching Thomas but have only received 1 reply and the lady is going away but will have a look at her records when she gets back and she will let me know.
Thanks

Jenny