• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Trying to trace Haydon / Hayden / Heyden roots in Cornwall / Devon

Hi

I have hit a wall trying to trace my ancestors back in the UK.

My surname is EDEN but it seems that around the time my great great great grandfather sailed to Australia (in 1865) the name has morphed into EDEN from what was originally HAYDON (or some variant of).

What I have so found via FreeCEN and FreeBMD and ordering cerificates is:

My great great great grandfather, John HAYDON (spelling from 1851 census) was born around 1843 (though I can't find his BMD index) in Redruth, CORNWALL and married Caroline THOMAS (as John EADEN) on 5 MAR 1864 in Illogan, CORNWALL.

His parents were John HEYDEN (1841 census) / HAYDON (1851 census) / HAYDEN (1861 census) and Elizabeth MERRETT who were married (as HAYDEN) on 28 NOV 1837 in Redruth, CORNWALL.

All the census returns (except 1841) place John Sr's birthplace as Devonport, DEVON (being born around 1811) and his marriage certificate lists his father as WILLIAM.

Both John Sr and William's professions are listed as Shoe / bootmaker.

This is where my trail runs dry (census and BMD records not really going back any further), so I am hoping that there is someone that may have some more information that can help me out. The fact the spelling seems very inconsistent makes it that little more difficult obviously.

Even John Sr and Elizabeth's first son William Henry (born 7 FEB 1840) had his birth registered with the spelling EADEN and his marriage (to Harriet GRIBBLE in the final quarter of 1862) registered with the spelling of HEDON.

Makes it very confusing .....

Thanks to anyone that can offer any assistance or direct me to somewhere where I might be able to find some more details.

Regards
Tim