• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tunnellers

Hi, Researching my gr.grandfather John Sanders who was a sergeant in the 1/5th South Staffordshire Regiment . He was one of the volunteers who was transfered to the Royal Engineers for tunnelling duties, as he was a miner before the war. Has anybody got access to war diaries for these units, or knows where they maybe kept .
Don't know if there is any truth in it but, they where having a bit of R & R, having a beer in a bar near Ypres in Belgium, when the Germans decided to attack the town.Guess what, they blew the bl--dy pub up.

Cheers Iain Sanders

Hi Dave,

His army no. was 8990 and he was killed on the 27 April 1915. I know he is buried in Dickebusch cemetery which is just a couple of miles from Ypres.
I have read that around the 22nd April ? the Germans launched either their 1st or biggest gas attack in this area and, bombed the town for a few days.I don't know if they kept a diary when off duty in those days.

I bet he was the unlucky one, he was the only one to buy a round of drinks.

Thanks Dave
Iain