• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Twins or not if the volume & page number the same

aca

I am uncertain whether I keep coming across twins in my family tree or if it is purely coincidence.

An example is Dilley, births Jun 1865, I have what I believe is two sets of twins registered - 3b 388 and 3b 375.

Would my assumption be correct?

There are two ways of checking for sure; ordering certs (which from Ireland is expensive) or looking on the 1911 census to see how many children were the product of the marriage - unfortunately in this instance the latter is no help as the mother has died and there is no info listed on the original census under the father.

aca

Hi Steve, I'm not certain how to post an image from my stored pictures...so I'll type out instead:-

Births Jun 1865
Name...................District.........Vol/Page
DILLEY Hannah.......Biggleswade 3b 388
DILLEY Herbert.......Biggleswade 3b 374
DILLEY Jane...........Biggleswade 3b 375
DILLEY John...........Biggleswade 3b 375
DILLEY Female........Biggleswade 3b 388

Would it reasonable to assume in the above scenario that:-
1. Hannah and female were twins
2. Jane and John were twins
given that their entry into the register of births is the same volume and page number.

(Sorry I wasn't very clear explaining in my original post :()

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

aca

Great link...hadn't come across that before. Thought I was going to have to hit Luton & Bedford Archives on my next trip home.

I've been helped with a lot of the early 1900's as the cemetery in Stotfold is online and HALS has been great for searching marriages in Hertfordshire, (when family members married outside of the parish, say in Baldock or Ashwell).

Must be a different John Dilley that you found...mine died in 1866 and Jane survived....I'm going for a better mooch now.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is a Jane Dilley b.1865. Stotfold, Bedfordshire. Biggleswde distric.t Parents are William & Jane(their marriage is on the link I gave you) in Stotfold - 25 Feb.1865.

It seems likely they could be related.......maybe.

Steve.:)

aca

seems likely they could be related.......maybe
Gotta love decisive nature of your post....now you can see my problem!!

It is William Dilley and Jane Albon as the parents that I'm looking into.... thanks to your link I found christenings for 8 of their 10 children...2 Johns missing 1865 and 1876
:2fun:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Gotta love decisive nature of your post....now you can see my problem!!

It is William Dilley and Jane Albon as the parents that I'm looking into.... thanks to your link I found christenings for 8 of their 10 children...2 Johns missing 1865 and 1876
:2fun:
Don't you just hate all those absent kids.;):2fun:.

Good luck.

Steve.:)

Hi
Reading your posts, I thought I'd explain the attachment process

At the top of this reply window on the headings you will see a paper clip (just to the right of the font colour symbol and smiley face. Click on this. A box comes up on the left headed 'manage attachments' with three boxes saying Browse. Click on the top one and you get your computer file folders. click on the one you want to attach then open, then click upload. Thats it, but it does not show in the reply window until you submit your reply

dave