• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Two Marriages

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Bap V18452164 134/1845 MURNAN BRIDGET WILLIAM MARY

Can't look that one up at library on film being a volume past 123.

Marriage
2320/1866 MOFFITT WILLIAM J - MARNANE BRIDGET C - MAITLAND * 8 Mar
2375/1866 MOFFITT WILLIAM J - MARNANE BRIDGET - MAITLAND * 5 May * Notation *

The ceremony having been performed previously by Richard Thomas Hills according to the rites of the Congregational Church on 8 March 1866
John Kenny C.C.
I've never seen that before. Two index entries and both correct.

The priest normally adds R.C.C = Roman Catholic Church.

1913 ? Not yet found

Death 8294/1915 MOFFITT BRIDGET - WILLIAM - MARY - AUBURN * 7 Apr 1915

Can't find a notice in Trove

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Error in the index for baptism - name is MARNANE sometimes MURNANE in records. Family from Ireland settled in Morpeth, NSW and some ended up in N Qld.

I have details of her parents William & Mary.

Children
12071/1867 MOFFITT EVA M WILLIAM J BRIDGET C MORPETH
13869/1869 MOFFITT ADA M WILLIAM J BRIDGET C MORPETH
13060/1871 MOFFITT FREDERICK H WILLIAM JAMES BRIDGET CLARA MORPETH

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
'China' 7 Sep 1841 Vol 40
William Marnane 1810 31 Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland John Marnane Mary Odonnel
Mary Marnane 1818 23 Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland John Dogherty Peggy Hinley Dogherty
James Marnane 1840 1 William Marnane Mary Dogherty

I have nothing on James after the arrival.

I have nothing on Johanna after her baptism

Bap V1850596 68/1850 MARNANE JOHANNA WILLIAM MARY

Roman Catholic Baptisms in the Parish of East Maitland in the County of Northumberland 1850
Johanna - William Marnane & Mary Doherty Abode: Morpeth Quality or Profession: Dealer When Born: 27th Decr. 1850 When Baptised: 1st January By whom the Ceremony was performed: Revd. John Tierney RC Minister

horse

Loyal Member
Births:
William Marnane
Registration Year: 1848
Place: East Maitland, Maitland, West Maitland, NSW
Father: William Marnane
Mother: Mary
Volume Number: V18481893 65

Just wondering if this was the one who married Eliz McLuckie?

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Births:
William Marnane
Registration Year: 1848
Place: East Maitland, Maitland, West Maitland, NSW
Father: William Marnane
Mother: Mary
Volume Number: V18481893 65

Just wondering if this was the one who married Eliz McLuckie?

Geoff
Yes Geoff.

The children I didn't mention are all sorted.

Dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
SMH Tue 13 Oct 1942 – is this your James ?

MARNANE-The Relatives and Friends of Mrs E Marnane of 39 Morehead Street Redfern and Mrs Parmeter are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of her dearly beloved Husband and her dear Brother James Marnane to leave St Peter s Church Surry Hills this Afternoon at 3 15 o clock for the Catholic Cemetery Botany. Labor Motor Funeral3 Limited 604 606 Crown Street Sidney Phones LA2777 (4 Unes)

MARNANE JAMES 24036/1942 WILLIAM – MARY – SYDNEY

Is this Johanna ?
1939/1874 HOPKINS CHARLES FRED – MARNANE JOANNA - BOURKE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

I will see what else I can find. No age so far. Looks like there is no death notice.

James Marnane 13/10/1942 Burial RC3 - Roman Catholic FM 3, Position 70

A sister Mrs Parmeter ??? Have not found that marriage yet.

Margaret married Fitzgerald. Bridget married Moffitt. No 2nd marriages for those two. Catherine died young.

I spent the afternoon at the local library. Some of the images from A... were .j2k which Windows Image Viewer on the library computer does not support.

Dave

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Looking at Parmenter on James's death notice...1942

The Courier Mail Fri 9 Aug 1940
MARNANE, Ellen, 60 Cricket Street, Petrie Terrace.— The Relatives and Friends of Mr.W. Marnane, of 60 Cricket Street, Petrie Terrace, Mr. J. Marnane (Sydney), Mr. and Mrs T. Parmeter and Family (Sydney), the Misses Mary and Delia Marnane, 60 Cricket Street, Petrie Terrace, are invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved Sister, Sister-in-law, and Aunt, Miss Ellen Marnane, to leave St. Bridget's Roman Catholic Church, Red Hill, This (Friday) Morning, at 10 a.m., for interment in the Toowong Cemetery. Arriving 10.30.

The Courier Mail Mon 12 Nov 1928 – Qld & NSW families

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/21341929?searchTerm=parmeter marnane&searchLimits=

The Courier Mail Wed 28 April 1948
FUNERAL NOTICES
MARNANE, Mr. William, 27 Cricket St., Petrie Ter. — Relatives & Friends of Misses Mary & Delia Marnane, Mrs. C. Parmeter (Sydney), Mr. & Mrs. M. Breen (Tewantin), Mr. & Mrs. W. Breen (Townsville) Mr. & Mrs. P. J. Marnane & Families are respectfully informed of the death of their beloved Brother, Brother-in-law, Uncle. & Cousin. The Funeral is appointed to leave St. Brigid's Catholic Church, To-day (Wednesday) at 11.15 a.m. for Toowong Cemetery.

Qld BMD - Marriage
1914 B15683 Catherine Marnane to Livingstone Thomas Parmeter

SMH Tue 22 May 1945
PARMETER.-May 21, 1945 (suddenly), at St. George District Hospital, Livingstone Thomas Parmeter, of 24 Wolds Avenue, Hurstville, dearly loved husband of Catherine and dear father of Mary (Mrs. T. Hansen), William, James, Kathleen (Mrs. F. Ryan), Ronnie (Mrs. J. Ryan), Frank, Rita, and Cecily, aged 58 years. Requiescat in pace. Brisbane papers please copy.

PARMETER.-May 21, 1945 (suddenly), at St. George District Hospital, Livingstone Thomas Parmeter, beloved son of Mrs. Mary Parmeter, of Hurstville, and the late Thomas Parmeter (formerly of Merriwa), and dear brother of Reg, Clara (Mrs. W. Houlahan), Stan, Len, and Jack, aged 58 years. Requiescat in pace.

regards Val

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

I have to digest that. It makes no immediate impact on my brain. :)

Am I missing some children of William & Mary?

William married Elizabeth Kerr McLuckie. So who is William married to Ellen??

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Death 1948/B16352 William Marnane - William - Mary Breen

2x Marnane families.

Ok, my family from Ireland settled in Morpeth area and a few of the children ended up in far north Qld.

The other Marnane family was always settled in Brisbane suburbs.

A different James.

Dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
is this you connection to Marnane family ?

Sunday Mail Sub 8 Feb 1953
BERYL Freeman -Coorparoo , who will be married to Maurice Marnane (Atherton) next Friday, was guest of honour at a party given yesterday afternoon by her aunt, Mrs. C. B. Freeman (Ashgrove) , assisted by another aunt, Mrs.D. J. Tanner. The hostess’s elder daughter, Barbara Freeman, will be a bridesmaid with Elizabeth Marnane. who will arrive from Atherton on Friday. The younger daughter, 13-year-old Penny Freeman, will play the organ at the wedding; which will be celebrated in St, Stephen's Church, Coorparoo, at 5.30 pm. The bride is a domestic science teacher, whose last post was Townsville.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

That's one bit I didn't have.

My connection via McLuckie - McLuckie sister to Hamilton.

1893/C0268 Marnane William - McLuckie Elizabeth

The Brisbane Courier (Qld.) - Tue 6 Jun 1893 p.4
MARRIAGE
MARNANE - McLUCKIE.-On the 8th May, at St. Monica's Church, Cairns, William Marnane, of Herberton, to Bessie, eldest daughter of the late Alexander McLuckie, of Glasgow, and Castlecomer, Ireland.

Son

9757/1926 MARNANE MAURICE W - LINEDALE MARGARET I SYDNEY * 5 Jul 1926

The Brisbane Courier (Qld.) - Wed 7 Jul 1926 p.22
MARNANE - LINEDALE.
A quiet wedding was celebrated by the Rev. Hugh Paton on Monday afternoon at St. Stephen's Church, Phillip-street, Sydney, when Mr. Maurice William Marnane (son of Mr. and Mrs. William Marnane, Atherton Queensland) was married to Miss Isabel Linedale (daughter of Mr. A. T. Linedale, Atherton Queensland).

Also connects to my tree via Linedale to Jack to Blackley and Hamilton

so that must be Maurice junior.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
1954 QLD Electoral Roll - Leichhardt - Atherton
MARNANE Maurice William, Atherton, farmer
MARNANE Margaret Isabel, Coombra, Atherton, home duties
MARNANE Maurice William, jun., "Beecroft" Tolga rd., Atherton, farmer
MARNANE Beryl Phyllis, Golf Links rd., Atherton, home duties

The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld.) - Wed 6 Aug 1952 p.12
ENGAGEMENTS
MARNANE - FREEMAN.-The engagement is announced of Beryl Phyllis, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Freeman, Coorparoo, to Maurice William, only Son of Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Marnane, Atherton.

The eldest of 4 sons.

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Children of Maurice William Marnane & Isabel Margaret nee Linedale

Cairns Post Fri Feb 1945
Another family well represented is the Marnane family. Maurice has returned to Scot's College, Warwick, while his three sisters, Margaret, Elizabeth and Nancy, have been enrolled into the Presbyterian Girls College. Warwick.

Death of his parents:
1961 C1993 Maurice William Marnane William - Bessie McLuckie

1967 C2239 Margaret Isobel Marnane Anthony Linedale - Isabella
Jack

Death of Elizabeth (Bessie)nee McLukie – Courier Mail Tue 14 April 1942

MARNANE.— On April 12th, at Brisbane, Elizabeth Kerr, relict of the late William Marnane, of Atherton. N.Q. Privately cremated April 13th. John Hislop & Sons, Funeral Directors.

1942 B56168 Elizabeth Kerr Marnane Alexander McLuckie Ann Malcolm.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

In Normanton John [LEDLIE] was employed by Burns, Philip & Co. In 1891 after a short term at the company’s branches in Thursday Island and Port Moresby, New Guinea he moved to Herberton where he joined the staff of Jack & Newell (established 1882). Also on the staff there were sisters Annie and Elizabeth Kerr (Bessie) McLuckie, both milliners."
Bessie married William Marnane in 1893 and they settled and developed “Coombra”, Atherton (12 miles from Herberton) – a farm and cattle property of a deep, rich, red volcanic soil, bounded on the eastern side by Mazlin Creek and on the western side by the Great Dividing Range.
Contrary to a statement in “History of Queensland, Its People and Industries – William Marnane, J.P.” to the effect that Bessie’s late father Alexander McLuckie was “an Irishman and a scion of an old County Kilkenny family” the McLuckies were in fact Scottish (Presbyterians) from Rutherglen.

Dave