• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tyson

AndreDP

I'm searching for my roots from the UK and the bits I have are the following:

William (Wilson) Tyson married to Florence McBride (MacBride) and they moved to South Africa before about 1929.
It is believed that Florence died in Queenstown, South Africa from Tuberculosis and their children, Bobbie (Robert), Sheila, Florence and James were admitted to various foster institutions or orphanages, but baby George was adopted. Mary Halton (Tyson) signed the adoption papers, according to James, who died a few moths ago.
All I could found in public records was that George Tyson was adopted by Bouchers in a Pietermaritzburg (South Africa) court about 1936. The documents mentioned the father as Wilson Tyson and mother as Florence Susanna Tyson.
Before James died as the last known living child, he mentioned to me that his mother was Florence McBride, but he does not know what happened to his father, suspecting that his father had to go back to the UK for unfinished property business, and assumed his father died there. He suspected that his father had the title of "Sir".
James's aunt Mary Halton (Tyson), could have been his father's sister.

My mother Florence Adelaide Tyson (James's sister) only had contact with her sister Sheila (also deceased), never mentioned her other family. Brother Bobby died long ago as a hobo.

I would appreciate info as it is very difficult to obtain info from UK records when trying from South Africa.

Regards.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Have you any birthdates, place of birth. Tyson is a common name in the West Riding of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Where did they come from. Have you looked for ship records to see what port they came from in Britain?

AndreDP

Have you any birthdates, place of birth. Tyson is a common name in the West Riding of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Where did they come from. Have you looked for ship records to see what port they came from in Britain?
Hi,
Thanks for showing interest....unfortunately I have no dates or places and I have gone through a lot of lists, search LDS and others but....nothing that even vaguely points to any of these people. Only Mary Halton (Tyson) have a few references in our National Archives, nothing indicating parents or grandparents.
Regards.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Andre,

Have you any dates as to when the children were born and were they born in England? this may help in narrowing down to when William and Florence married.

Julie

duckweed

Loyal Member
Suggest you try www.ancestry.co.uk/search/retype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx
It should get you to a free search site. You will probably have to search all the marriage quarters in the likely years as the browser only works up to about 1910. If you can get a marriage date you could apply for a marriage certificate and that will get you parents name and of course the addresses of the couple when they married. Then you can apply for birth certificates. Other than that try leaving info in various message board sites and something might come up. If the marriage turns up at least you will have a place of marriage to start from.

AndreDP

Hi Andre,

Have you any dates as to when the children were born and were they born in England? this may help in narrowing down to when William and Florence married.

Julie
Julie,
Thanks for the interest....
What I do have is the following:
Florence Adelaide (my mother) was born on 1 September 1929 in Boksburg South Africa, but Bobby (Robert) was the eldest and as far as I can remember all the children were born in South Africa. James was born on 19 September 1931. I was told that their parents were married in the UK. Before James died, he said his father was William but the adoption papers indicate Wilson as the father of George the baby and the mother was Florence Susanna. This is also the names of my eldest sister as she was probably named after her grandmother from mother's side as was usually done those days. Unfortunately James died before I could confirm his fathers name.

It is really a sad story and James was in tears when I managed to trace him.

Thanks and regards.

AndreDP

Thanks, I will try again......
I'm sure your name is not Duckweed but I know of a very tiny plant called Duckpond weed and very few people here know the plant.
Regards.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Andre,

Sorry no luck, went back to 1920, there are some William and Wilson Tyson but not with the spouses surname of Mcbride/Mabride, some of the indexes on Ancestry for 1923 and 1925 were missing so couldnt check them. Could Williams middle name be Wilson as there are couple born in 1903 and 1906 with the name William Wilson Tyson and there seen to be a few from Cumberland. It may be worthwhile checking with Scotlands people just in case either both of either one came from there. Also suggest that if you can obtain William and Florences death certs it should give you their ages and should narrow it down to the year they were born.

Julie

Last edited:

AndreDP

Julie,
Thanks for your effort. A while back I did some searches on findmypast and used the various searched to create a file of Tysons leaving the UK for South Africa and although no names were supplied by the search engine, I found a female Tyson (searching Mary), female Tyson (searching Florence) and a male Tyson (searching William) all of whom came to south Africa, in 1892 leaving Southampton, arriving in Port Elizabeth (Algoa bay). This could be significant.
Also no death notices could be found in any of the local archives for the two and yes it is possible that William could have been William Wilson Tyson.

However Mary Ann Tyson born 1 Aug 1886, married on 26 Nov 1904 in Ulverston, Lancaster to Thomas Halton, born 26 Feb 1880 could have been the sister of William (Wilson) Tyson.

My search in the 1881 British census household records show:
Florence Mc Bride, 2 years, born Hr Bebington, Cheshire, England
Florence Mc Bride, 8 years, born Manchester, Lancashire, England
Florence Mc Bride, 3 years, born Southwark, Surrey, England.
One of these could be the wife of William......

Is there a way or some means, you are aware of, that I can use to obtain more info via the internet, from South Africa?

Regards.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I found a Florence McBride in Manchester in 1901 census. I tried for a Florence Tyson but there didn't seem to be a suitable candidate. There are a number of William and Wilson Tysons. If it is Wilson it would indicate he came from Cumbria as it is a Family name there. Maybe if you had occupation it might help narrow them down. Could Wilson have been much older than Florence? You could try going on Rootsweb and going to the Cumbrian site and see if anyone knows of a Tyson who left to emigrate.
1901 census site http://www.1901censusonline.com
Rootschat.com/forum
By the way I call myself Duckweed because I needed a user name on one of the geneology sites and its easier to use the same name on all sites so people recognise its me. Duck comes from the name Sheffielders call me and weed because I'm small.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've found a Tyson McBride marriage but the brides name is Alice. Any chance she was Alice Florence known as Florence. It may be too early but it's all I could Find. Sep 1900 William Tyson marries Alice McBride Barrow in Furness, Lancashire (now Cumbria) freebmd.rootsweb.com ref 8e 1622

AndreDP

Thanks Duckweed,
Alice as name could well be as I was told that the letter A as second initial was prominent for the children. I will keep this in mind.
I have phoned the people of the Wilson/Tyson family Gathering and got an email address from very helpful people. They do have a Tyson family tree and will look for a link to the info I sent.
Regards.

AndreDP

Julie,
Thanks to you as well. Between you and Duckweed, I feel as if a ceiling was lifted and I begin to see clear skies. A problem I have is that a lot of sites want some payment for their info and I do not know how to pay them from South Africa, without jeapodising my credit card or bank account.
Regards.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Andre,

Whether this has any significance, but found this on the 1901 census for Stretford, Lancaster.

Alice Tyson wife age 22 born South Africia
Louis Tyson head age 26 born Salford, Lancs occ labourer at electrical works
William Tyson son age 1 born Stretford

found this marriage

Louis Alexander Tyson 1896 June 1/4 Salford, Lancs a Mary Alice Wolfendale is listed.

If you need any look ups on Ancestry.co.uk only to willing to do so.

Julie

AndreDP

Julie,
Much appreciated. I think if you can find the parents of Mary Ann Tyson, born 1 August 1886, married to Thomas Halton born 26 February 1880, on the 26 November 1904 in Ulverston, Lancaster, they could be the parents of William (Wilson) Tyson, and thus my great great grandparents.
Regards.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Julie,
Much appreciated. I think if you can find the parents of Mary Ann Tyson, born 1 August 1886, married to Thomas Halton born 26 February 1880, on the 26 November 1904 in Ulverston, Lancaster, they could be the parents of William (Wilson) Tyson, and thus my great great grandparents.
Regards.
Best bet for Thomas Halton is one I found on Family Search (Latter day saints site) Father Joseph Halton aged 37 born Lower Kellett Lancs occupation Miner , Wife Mary Ann aged 37 born Banes Green Lancs 3 children all born in Dalton in Furness, Eliza A 5, Nelson John 3, Thomas 1, address 4 Castle Street Dalton in Furness 1881 census ref RG11 4281/118

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B English Genealogy Roots 3
C Births 2
duckweed Genealogy Beginners Help 4
A Genealogy Beginners Help 18