• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Unbelievable luck Bishops House event planning

duckweed

Loyal Member
I was reading about early olympics and strange events and found there was kite flying and croquet as sports. This sparked idea after reading the account of 1908 olympics (it really has some comic things). So thought what if we ran an Edwardian Olympic picnic next year.

So said to other member on committee. Oh she said I've done loads of research on early olympics so have loads of photos etc.

Then I asked Kite Flying club if they could do something and they said Yes and then asked Park Rangers if they could do grass sledging races (I know it's not an olympic event but it has long tradition in our park) Yes they said and we can help the children make kites from old carrier bags, and we can lend 2 tents in case of rain.

So then I go to Parks Authority as I have to seek their approval and she says I am part of an Edwardian enactment group that plays croquet and I think I can get you some funding too.

So I have only been thinking this out for 10 days and I already have a good part of the event planned with no money needed and I only have to coordinate. Unbelievable. Meanwhile friend on committee has persuaded some musicians to play edwardian music at the event as a sort of palm court orchestra.

This event has the possibility of being a whole lot of fun with very little effort on my part.

Plus the Cultural Olympiad people have said they will do the publicity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Documents 3
DaveHam9 Births 25
DaveHam9 Scottish Genealogy Roots 27
DaveHam9 Deaths 28
DaveHam9 Deaths 2
B FHUK General Chat Room 9