• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Using a professional Genealogy service

Strawman

During my research work for my own family, I decided to invest a little money and use the services of ancestry,co.uk . At first, I tried to access known dates and names in order to gain confirmation. After numerous tries and getting the now familiar term: zero good matches, this very quickly became rather annoying since I knew that the info was indeed correct.

What I was to subsequently learn, it’s that quite a lot of transcribed material has been wrongly identified from the original documents. This means that if you were to use their pay as you go service, you would find yourself paying for their transcribers mistakes, which is very annoying to say the least

In the end, I chose to use the worldwide monthly membership in order to ease the burden, but even so, those mistakes still arose and time is lost all the same, while you attempt to find out what was wrong with the information.

My advice is to dig deep and have lots of patience, because you will need it.O0