• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Vaughan family. Cardinal Herbert Vaughan

I am trying to trace the link between the Vaughan families of Longtown, Herefordshire, and the Vaughan family that descended from the Vaughans of Courtfield, near Ross on Wye. Cardinal Herbert Vaughan, the son of John and Elizabeth Vaughan, was of this family. He was born on 15 April 1832 and died in 1903. He was the founder of Westminster Cathedral, London and was the third Archbishop of Westminster. Cardinal Vaughan's family was thought to be related to my great grandmother, Ann Vaughan, daughter of William and Rachael Vaughan of Longtown, Herefordshire but I have never been able to trace a connection between these two families. Any help will be gratefully received.

Hi Emeltee

Many thanks for your suggestion. Cardinal Vaughan is well documented as I have discovered through googling, but although I have researched his illustrious family tree, I simply cannot find the link between the Vaughans of Courtfield and previously, Tretower, with my family which came from Longtown. My grandmother was adament that he was related and so linked her family with the princes of South Wales. It is rather frustrating!

Many thanks for your help which I so appreciate.
Jennifer

Last edited:

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Dear Jennifer
welcome I had a little laugh when I read your letter. My mother was a great one for trying to tie us up with someone famous. Sometimes the link was there, and sometimes not. I am quite sure that one name she picked out of the cemetry as he was in the next plot !!
To be serious, have you got back in the right generation by births, marriages, and deaths and finding them on the census between 1841 - 1911 so that you have the full picture of the family on each generation. Without the dates you are dealing with it is not easy advising you blind. Let us know what you already have.
nainmaddie

welcome
Dear Nainmaddie
Many thanks for your post which delighted me. My so called links with famous people are: Owen Glendower, Llewellyn ab Griffiths, The princes of both South and North Wales, The Vaughan family of Courtfield and Tretower in general, including Cardinal Herbert Vaughan in particular, and John Dyer the Welsh poet (all noted as ancestors by my maternal Grandmother). Then to complicate things further, my father's family (Whitelaw) claims to descend from Robert the Bruce and if that is not enough my husbands family (Lancaster) claims direct descendancy from early ancestors of the present British Royal Family!

As you can imagine, I have explored many avenues in the hope of substantiating any of these claims to no avail. However, it has been fun and I have instead, been able to go back to real ancestors who lived 9 or 10 generations ago. If they don't link with anyone famous and the family stories remain mysteries, then I really don't mind. It has been wonderful to research the families and discover more about them than anyone of my generation has known. Thanks to the FHUK 1841 census lookup, I now know when my gg grandfather was born, so there is another avenue of research.

Thank you for your interest. I also laughed when I discovered that my grandmother and mother were not the only people to enjoy linking their family with famous people!!

I will certainly write again with dates and details of the families I am researching as FHUK is such a wonderful resource.
Many thanks and all the best
Jennifer