• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Vaux Birmingham

janmary

Does anyone have this name in their family tree? Specifically Thomas and Mary, plus children Ada, Annie, Robert, Thomas and Nellie.
It seems they went under the name of Edinburgh/Edinborough between 1871 and 1901 - we are wondering why!
Jan

Jackia

Hello I can ont help with your question but I do notice you are tracing the surname Harris, this was my maiden name and I have traced my fathers history.
Which Harris family are you tracing maybe we have a link

:)

janmary

Jackia - thanks for response.
Regarding Harris family. Well, it's a little way back, but here goes. Elizabeth Harris was my great-great grandmother, born 1843, and her father was David Harris. He was born in Tardebigge/Webheath about 1795. His parents were Joseph and Mary. and he had a brother called Edward.
David was married twice I think, firstly to a Leah Hill and then to Emma - I suspect her name was also Hill, but I'm not sure.
His children were: Emma, Joseph, Keziah, Selina, Letitia, Martha and Elizabeth (my ancestor).
Harris is such a common name we'd be lucky to find a link - but you never know!
Regards
Jan

Jackia

Jackia - thanks for response.
Regarding Harris family. Well, it's a little way back, but here goes. Elizabeth Harris was my great-great grandmother, born 1843, and her father was David Harris. He was born in Tardebigge/Webheath about 1795. His parents were Joseph and Mary. and he had a brother called Edward.
David was married twice I think, firstly to a Leah Hill and then to Emma - I suspect her name was also Hill, but I'm not sure.
His children were: Emma, Joseph, Keziah, Selina, Letitia, Martha and Elizabeth (my ancestor).
Harris is such a common name we'd be lucky to find a link - but you never know!
Regards
Jan
Thanks for this my family are from wales, so I do not think we are on the same track. I do hope you are succesful, as you have probably found out by now it is a drug, once you start you cannot stop but it is a great feeling when you discover new relatives even if they are so long ago.
Jacki

Kerrymac

Hi JanMary,
I do have the name in my family tree, but no link to Birmingham as far as I know.The name is spelt Vose most of the time in Lancs, mine where horseman and carters/carriers by trade.But the name is amongst many people who are craftsmen, skilled in pottery, silversmith,saddlers,Blacksmiths,shoemakers,watchmakers and other trades.If I have remembered it correctly they originate from French Hugonet families escaping from France and finding shelter here.Best wishes :) kerrymac.