• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Very Confused

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have a tree which was drawn during the 19th century, which was very helpful to find the Thomas side of my family in Wraysbury Buckinghamshire. I was wondering if anyone had access to these records??
On my tree someone had given the names or surnames of the spouses of my 4 x g grandfather William Thomas (d 24/12/1824) children. All have checked out correctly except his youngest dughter Mary b 1810. All the family were very well educated and William himself was described as a gentleman in his will.
On this tree, Mary is married to Dowling, no first name, but I found a marriage to a David Dowling in 1869.

The marriage of Mary Thomas to David Dowling:

Name: David Dowling
Spouse: Mary Thomas
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 23 Aug 1869
Parish: St Nicholas, Deptford
Borough: Greenwich
Father Name: Thomas Dowling
Register Type: Parish Register

The connection with Greenwich was my 3 x g grandfather William Thomas b 1800 moved there during the 1840's
The problem with this marriage is, Mary is a widow, with a surname of Thomas and her father is William Shadwell.
This is where I am confused because Mary's mother was Jane Shadwell b 1772 and her grandfather was William Shadwell b abt 1850. There is no mention of the name Style.
Other people have Mary married to a Henry Style in 1836, I have no evidence of the marriage.

Did she ever marry Henry?? and Thomas should be her maiden name not Shadwell, anyone any good with mysteries???

Many Thanks

Amanda