• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Victorian Honeymoon?

benny1982

Staff member
Loyal Member
Hi

After a wedding ceremony in Victorian times, roughly how long did the honeymoon afterwards last?

Eg if a couple wed away from their local parish, say they lived usually in Suffolk but wed in a popular church in London, would they have their honeymoon in London or return to Suffolk? It would seem a long way to travel after the ceremony though.

And if the groom set up a temporary residence in a parish and the bride joined him for the ceremony, I think wouldn't it be usual for the bride to arrive at least the day before the wedding and maybe at least stay a few days at the groom temporary address?

I ask because my great, great gran and her first husband lived usually in Leigh On Sea in Essex. They were both born there and grew up there but they wed in St George In The East, London in 1858. The groom set up a temporary residence there. I would have thought the bride would have at least spent a few days in London especially the night before and a few nights afterwards? Any ideas?

Ben