• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

W. & J. Baldwin. Brushmakers, Burnley.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Can anyone find anything in the newspapers, regarding Baldwin Brushworks in Burnley, Lancs.

Established in 1854 by Thomas Baldwin, and sons, William & John Baldwin, but were making brushes, prior to 1851.

Any photo's in the Newspapers, and when the Company was closed, or sold on.

I am aware of a Blog, (My folks Tales), which mentions a film of 12 minutes in length, and recorded in 1968.

View attachment 3643

Thanks.

Steve.:)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

stockpot

Valued Member
FMP has details from the Burnley Express, 19 mentions of Baldwins Borough Brush Works.

Mostly situations vacant but also details of entertainment for employees in 1868 and a wage dispute in 1872. The latest article is on P9 (not P8 as detailed) 16 May 1936, on a page of similar articles about local firms, it extols the virtues of Baldwins.

Do you need to see a copy of any of these articles?

Elaine

stockpot

Valued Member
A wider search of the Burnley newspapers shows they are awash with references to Baldwin and Brushes.

Large article re the centenary in 1954.

5 March 1952, death of John Harvey Baldwin, 76, last surviving son of Mr J Baldwin, co-founder of Baldwins Brushes in in 1854. He was a life member of Bethel Methodist church where his father was a local preacher.

Elaine

Hello Stockpot - I am a descendant of William and John Baldwin - and am wanting to research further into Baldwin Brushworks and wondered if you would kind enough to suggest informative links to find information. Sadly most of the knowledgeable's have 'left' the family. Now is the time for me to delve deeper but some initial starter pointers on where to hunt would be very much appreciated. Just 'google' gives minimal! Thank you