• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Waaf

My Grandmother, Margeurite Lydia Barnard nee Bigler (b 1920), was in the WAAF during second world war.
She came over from Switzerland, got stuck here because of the war and ended up marrying (m 1942) my Grandfather John James Barnard (b 1920).
She was one of only three swiss nationals in the English forces and was a barrage balloon operator.
I would love to find out more about her and the job she did.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi,
I found this which will explain what a barrage balloon operator did.

---------------------------------------------------------------
One of the hardest jobs in the WAAF was the operation of balloons sites. This involved raising and lowering the barrage balloons, which were designed to deter enemy bombers. There were doubts over whether women would have the physical strength or stamina as the balloons were 66 feet long and 30 feet high when inflated. But so successful were the initial volunteers that women eventually ran more than 1,000 barrage balloon sites throughout Britain.
----------------------------------------------------------------
gibbo

My Grandmother, Margeurite Lydia Barnard nee Bigler (b 1920), was in the WAAF during second world war.
She came over from Switzerland, got stuck here because of the war and ended up marrying (m 1942) my Grandfather John James Barnard (b 1920).
She was one of only three swiss nationals in the English forces and was a barrage balloon operator.
I would love to find out more about her and the job she did.
Hi My Mother was in the waaf also, she was a telegraphist. she was also born in 1920 so ages with your grandmother. she was stationed @ RAF Evanton at one point. Have very little info on waaf Can you help on where to look.