• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Wales to South Africa

ianto73

Valued Member
Lillian Davies was one of my late father's cousins and I know that she ended up in South Africa. From memory her and two of her sisters were nurses, probably during WWII. Is there any way of finding out if she emigrated under her maiden name, probably after 1945 and no later than 1955 by my reckoning? I believe she was born in the Neath area of South Wales, her father was Gwilym Davies, the oldest son of my paternal great grandparents William & Tamar. Best of luck and many thanks. Brian

you don't give any age details but could this be her

Name:Lilian DAVIES

Date of departure:22 January 1959

Port of departure:Southampton

Passenger destination port:Cape, South Africa

Passenger destination:Cape, South Africa

Date of Birth:18 June 1882

Marital status:Single

***:Female

address: Stoughton, Stow Pk, Cirade, Newport, Mon

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage:

Lydia DAVIES

Date of departure:22 January 1959

Port of departure:Southampton

Passenger destination port:Cape, South Africa

Passenger destination:Cape, South Africa

Date of Birth:28 October 1924

Marital status:Single

Address - 66 Straight road, Romford, Essex

***:Female

Ship: EDINBURGH CASTLE

Master's name: ? A Deller

Where bound: South Africa

Last edited:

ianto73

Valued Member
Sorry Dave, being part of my 'Davies brickwall', I had very little to go on - have assumed born in Neath area as that was where her father moved to and her other brother and sister remained through life, I visited them very many years ago. My late father was born in 1912, his mother was the third child, so I assumed this lady could be older than him - it's all speculative. Rumour has it, (in the back of this aged brain) that she worked at the same hospital as Christian Barnard - no proof of course. Ah well!,:rolleyes: thanks, if I find any more information, I'll try again!

ianto73

Valued Member
Somewhere I have a letter from her to my late parents, (in a box) so I shall dig that out. Again, very speculative, am not sure she stayed there at the end of her working life because this aged brain remembers a comment about USA. Don't know if she married, but when I find that letter, I may have an answer! The only bit of good news I have is that the "Davies's and Evans's" brick walls have not made me bald or even grey - so some-one likes me!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Further to this query, all I've found is where the lady I recall being Lillian (Lill) Davies was living in 1987:- Reitz Street; Somerset West, Cape Province. I believe she got married, but as I've only got one part of the letter and not the envelope, I'm stuck. The place in Reitz Street was a Court starting with Bu? The lady's handwriting is a scrawl, difficult to read. So another brick wall won't open!

Jay, apart from the fact that I'm struggling since the computer went pearshape, I took a gamble on the address and have come up with the following:-
Butler Court, Reitz Street, Somerset West, is a Block of 14 1 bedroom flats run by 'Helderberg Society for the Aged'. Wonder if they will respond to an email asking if she had any family, but would they still have records from nearly 30 years ago? Doubtful is my thought. :rolleyes:
Brian

Jay, sent the email, and as I thought, their records don't go back that far, but they said some-one who was employed there in 1987 didn't recognise the name at all. I even mentioned that the lady had been a nurse.
So another door closes on my 'Davies' clan!:rolleyes: Time for a scotch, I think!!:2fun::2fun:

jay

Valued Member
Jay, sent the email, and as I thought, their records don't go back that far, but they said some-one who was employed there in 1987 didn't recognise the name at all. I even mentioned that the lady had been a nurse.
So another door closes on my 'Davies' clan!:rolleyes: Time for a scotch, I think!!:2fun::2fun:
Make it a double. :D

gibbo

Loyal Member
Dont close the door just yet Brian.
Have you tried contacting the library in that area to see if they have old newspapers and see if there is a death notice etc for Lily?

Also sending you a PM with phone numbers of Davies people who also are listed at Helderberg Village Somerset West. I have no idea if its the same place as the Helderberg Society for the Aged tho.

Well, I've now found out why I didn't get far with this. The lady I've always known my parents referred to as Lillian is actually Mary Elizabeth Davies, born 1907 and died 2000 in South Africa. I came across a family tree which listed her parents with a South African connection, so I may get the information I was after, namely who her family were.
As 'Robert the Bruce' said, "If at first you don't succeed try again.":rolleyes: