• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WALKER family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I'd like a look up please for the following WALKER family in 1841 in England, probably London area.

John - watchmaker & jeweller - shops at 68 Cornhill, 230 Regent st. & 67 Strand.
spouse Charlotte
children
William John b. ? (eldest)
James b. ? (2nd born)

George b. abt 1839

Another son John T is not the eldest or the 2nd born so he was born before or after George.

Sorry, I can't make it more interesting. :)

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

This is the only source I've found so far that gives a possible date of birth for one of John's sons:

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 28 April 1880 p.1
DEATHS
WALKER.-April 27, at his residence, 521 George-street South, George Walker, aged 41 years, son of the late John Walker, watchmaker and jeweller, Cornhill, London. Home and Queensland papers please copy.

I have not found Charlotte's death in Australia or England. I believe John senior died in London. It seems he spent some time in Australia with sons George and John T.

Can anything be found on the famous watch maker with 3 shops in London?

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

I've found some new info that may help in the search for the right family. I can confirm the order of the sons. I have no info re any daughters. It looks as though Charlotte's name was SHINE but I still can't find the marriage.

John WALKER - watchmaker & jeweller - shops at 68 Cornhill, 230 Regent st. & 67 Strand.

John b. ? d. 1874-1880 probably in London
spouse Charlotte (SHINE) b. Ireland
children
William John b. abt 1833 where ?
James b. abt 1837 Cork, Ireland
George b. abt 1839 where ?
John T b. aft 1839 where ?

Regards,

Dave

PS: That probably cuts it from 1000 to 500 :D

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Perhaps they were still in Ireland in 1841. Need to find out when John WALKER first advertised a shop in London. There is some stuff in The Standard.

Also need to search for the sons in different census years for the years they were not in Australia. None have been found going either way in shipping records. All four sons ended up in Australia and at least one John Thomas returned to England after the shop in Sydney closed about 1861.

I will post some census topics for the sons.

Regards,

Dave