• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Walter James SEABORN

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Birth 23442/1882 SEABORN WALTER JAMES - GEORGE - MARGARET - COONABARABRAN ? just 1882 ?

The birth is in southern NSW so the reg district is probably an error.

SMH Sat 28 Oct 1882
BIRTHS - SEABORN.—October 5, at Gundabendyal Station, the wife of G. W. Seaborn, of a son.

Births Sep Qtr 1850
SEABORN George Washington - Newington 4 408

Looking for Walter's death before June 1935.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave.

There are only 10 entries in the Australian records for deaths with surname Seaborn (or similar) and there is nothing similar to Walter, that I can see. I can see what appears to be Walter's brother, George H M, having died in Sydney in 1909 (his mother is also showing as Margaret). I can also see records for his other brothers and sisters but not Walter, not in Australia.

Could Walter have emigrated, do you think? It's just that I can see some records for Mr Seaborn leaving Australia in the early 1900's, destined for USA.

Regards

Howard

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Howard.

There are many bits that don't add up. This has to be Walter.

SMH Sat 28 Oct 1882
BIRTHS - SEABORN.—October 5, at Gundabendyal Station, the wife of G. W. Seaborn, of a son.

The index also has birth for George in 1882. For some reason neither birth date is in the index. George could have been born in Nov 1881 and birth registered in Jan 1882.

I'm trying to determine if we have a Walter James Seaborn and a Walter James Seabrook both born 1882 but so far only a birth for one and a death for the other found.

We know from G. W's obit that his son Walter born at Gundabendyal Station must have died by 1935.

Dave

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Trying to create a timeline for the Seaborn family – then it’s up to you Dave…

1881 – Mittagong Station - marriage of George Washington Seaborn to Margaret Fulton = father Rev H.S Seaborn

1882 birth of son at Gundabendgal Station

SMH Wed 7 May 1884 has at Gunningbland Station (near Forbes) a daughter

Goulburn Herald Thu 5 Juy 1888
SEABORN —June 16, at New Zealand, Rev. FREDERICK RANSOME SEABORN, formerly incumbent of St. John's, Young, New South Wales. – his wife Eliza nee Marsden died 15 Feb 1931 – Goulburn Evening Penny Post.

Goulburn Herald Tue 3 Sept 1889
DIED,
SEABORN.--On the 27th August 1889, at the residence of his son G. W. Seaborn, Gunningbland
Station, near Forbes,
the Rev. HUGH SANDERSON SEABORN ; in his 81st year, formerly vicar of Gundagai.

SMH Thu 22 Nov 1894
SEABORN. —November 16, at Parkes, of synacope of the heart from diphtheria, Rita Mary, beloved daughter of G.W. and M. Seaborn, aged 10½ years.

Looking at the 2 Reverends – 1 is H.S Seaborn = Hugh Sanderson Seaborn who died 1889 and other is Frederick Ransome Seaborn who died in 1888.

Found this – might help to put the Rev’s in order..
https://www.geni.com/people/Rev-Hugh-Saunderson-Seaborn/6000000028915889584

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

1884 would be Rita.

No mention of Walter in notices for George W or son George or daughter Rita.

I'll check for notices for the other children.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
No mention of Walter in any of the many ref in newspapers for Leonard.

Iris d. 1886
Kathleen d. 1892

Notices for Margaret in 1941 only mention Leonard and Marion.

BLACKWELL Marion Francis Death notice 05OCT1966 Death 77 at Orange Hospital, late of Orange Sydney Morning Herald 06OCT1966

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
this is the only birth I can find on Trove in 1881 but it’s in Tassie paper – The Mercury Sat 7 May 1881

SEABROOK.—On April 28, at her residence, Upper Liverpool-street, the wife of G. H. Seabrook, jun. : a son.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

We have 33 in 1915 when he tried to enlist but seems for some reason he didn't. I've checked the list of known aliases.

Then 44 in 1926 when he died and nothing to indicate where he was born.

George W & Margaret but don't know if wife Dorothy was the informant. She is not mentioned in his notice and he is not in hers.

Looks like I need to get a copy of 1924 marriage.

Dave

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Western Champion Parkes Thu 21 May 1914 – Marriage of Marion Frances Seaborn to Henry Johnson Gray 13 May 1914 – Marion is only daughter of Mr & MRs G.W. Seaborn of Parkes… went to live in Hughenden Qld. Mentions Leonard as groomsman.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...eaborn&searchLimits=l-category=Family+Notices

SMH – Tue 14 July 1914
SEABORN-JOHNSON.-February 26, at St. John's Church, Ashfield, by Rev. T. Yarnold, Leonard Saunderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Seaborn, of Parkes, to Phyllis Ilma Viola, fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. Y. Johnson, of Wee Waa.

SEABORN LEONARD SAUNDERSON 4131/1951 GEORGE WASHINGTON – MARGARET - PARKES

so G.W Seaborn of Parkes only had 1 daughter..

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
3 died young.

Marion married twice.

1966 SMH is in the 1955 - 1995 archive. The images are impossible to read with my monitor and Windows 10 no matter what resolution I try or how much I zoom in or out.

SMH are on film at the State Library.

Last edited:

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Brisbane Courier – Tue 14 March 1922
MARRIAGES. Marion’s remarriage..
BLACKWELL- GRAY. - On December 27th, 1921, at St. Paul's Church of England, Burwood, Sydney by the Rev. H. Bryant, Frank W. Blackwell, of Union Bank, Wellington, N.S.W., son of Charles Blackwell, of Bangalow, N.S.W, to Marion Francis, only daughter of G. W. Seaborn, Nyoora, Parkes, N.S.W., widow of the late Henry Johnstone Gray, Bank of Australasia, Hughendon, Queensland.

Marion’s death - BLACKWELL MARION FRANCES 42540/1966 GEORGE – MARGARET – ORANGE

BLACKWELL Marion Francis Death notice 05OCT1966 Death 77 at Orange Hospital, late of Orange Sydney Morning Herald 06OCT1966

MR. G. W. SEABORN. SMH Thu 6 June 1935
Mr. George Washington Seaborn, one of the pioneers of the Parkes district, died on Friday. Born in England, he came to Australia with his parents when seven years of age, and for the remaining 76 years of his life, he lived in New South Wales, principally in the Parkes district. Mr. Seaborn spent some years at Gundagai, but went to Gunningbland in 1883. The following year he cleared about 30 acres, and with the aid of a single-furrow plough, sowed an area, from which was harvested about 40 tons of hay. The planting and harvesting of this crop were watched with interest, for many residents predicted failure when he decided to produce chaff for his own use. He became part owner of Gunningbland Station, but when the property was sold in 1894 he went to Parkes and entered a land agency business, which is now carried on by his only survivlng son. He also conducted the Parkes "Independent" for a time. Mr. Seaborn had been secretary of the P. A. and H. Association, coroner, chairman of the Licensing Board, and school board, guardian of minors, and president of the People's Institute. He is survived by Mrs. Seaborn, a son, and a daughter.

SEABORN George Washinton Obituary 31MAY1935 Death formerly of England and Parkes district and Gundagai and Gunningbland Sydney Morning Herald 06JUN1935

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have not yet tried to fully trace these two.

SEABROOK ADA GRACE 14804/1885 GEORGE MARGARET DUBBO
SEABROOK MABEL 10396/1892 GEORGE W MARGARET CASSILIS

I'm not sure if they are children of George Millington or not.

But that's the same area - Mudgee, Dubbo, Gulgong, Cassilis.

Ada Woodley.
Mabel Putney.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Nothing in the notices for Ada re her pob or parents or siblings.

Death PUTNEY MABEL 22053/1946 GEORGE MARGARET SUTHERLAND

Can't find anything.

Last edited:

horse

Loyal Member
Something to ponder..

Australia, WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
Walter Seabrook
Birth Place: Coolah, New South Wales
Dossier Year Range: 1914-1920
Enlistment Place: Holdsworthy (Holsworthy), New South Wales
Next of Kin: N/A
Relationship to Soldier: Mother
[Image gives NoK = mother, res = 144 Palmer St., [something] Sydney. Age = 22y 7m. Attestation 22-09-15. b. Coolah near Gulgong]

Geoff

Bootzy

Loyal Member
7260/1909 WOODLEY JOSEPH W – SEABROOK ADA G – SYDNEY

Norther Star – Thu 7 July 1949
WOODLEY.—In loving memory of my dear wife and our dear mother, Ada Grace Woodley, who departed this life 7th July, 1943. I go well loved to ever be forgotten. Inserted by her loving husband and children, Mayvis, Atliol and Max, also grandchildren. (buried C of E Lismore Cemetery)

Northern Star – Fri 9 July 1943 Ada’s Orbit.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...Limits=l-decade=194|||l-year=1943|||l-month=7
WOODLEY ADA GRACE 17027/1943 GEORGE – MARGARET - BURWOOD