• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Watch and Clockmaker Tobias Fletcher

Hi all i am currently researching my 5th great grandfather Tobias Fletcher 1814 to 1877 from barnsley he had 2 brothers William a rope maker and John a watch & clockmaker his father was also called Tobias Fletcher born 1784 and he was a clockmaker married to Elizabeth Fletcher, through finding his marriage in silkstone 30th of may 1803 i know that his father was also Tobias Fletcher, Now i know there was a famous watchmaker and a famous clockmaker in and around barnsley by the names of John Fletcher And Tobias Fletcher but i cant find any real info on any of them on the internet to say wether my relatives are indeed the famous watch & clockmakers from Barnsley, Any help anyone. Ps i have already wrote to the barnsley chronicle asking for any information about John and Tobias but as of yet no reply.
Kind regards Richard Fletcher

Hi Steve many thanks
I have been told that the Tobias Fletcher watch & Clockmaker was born in barnsley 1750 and died 1813 today and someone kindly sent me a picture of the watch, the furthest i can find a record for is my 6th great grandad Tobias Fletcher born 1784 but from marriage records i know his father was also Tobias so it could well be him.
Well done to anyone who helps and takes part in these searches you are a real lifeline to us begginers Thank you Richard Fletcher

Attachments

Hi Richard

Found a death notice, a son of Tobias FLETCHER.

Have you checked out a library in your area. Might help trawling through various newspapers.

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, November 25, 1837; Issue 5421.
DEATH
Same day, aged 21, Robert, son of Mr. Tobias Fletcher, clock and watchmaker, Barnsley.

cheers
cp

Sir, I came across your message by chance, but just for your info I have a grandfather clock made by Tobias Fletcher and would gladly send you a photo of it should you wish.
Regards
past-it

Hi Past-It and welcome. I was curious re old dates on this thread and see from his profile that Richard hasn't been on here since August. As a new poster you can't yet leave private messages so I've done one for Richard as this will surely be of interest to him and hopefully he will be alerted to log in. (I think he'll get an e mail dependent on his profiles choices)
Hope you excuse me butting in :)

Hi All
Not forgot you just been working on my other side of the tree, glad to know people are still willing to help even on old post and yes if anyone has any pics or info on Tobias Fletcher i would love to know more if you cant contact me on here you are more than welcome to email me

Email address removed for security reasons as per site policy.

Please use the PM system to exchange personal details.

There are 4 tobias Fletchers on ancestry from barnsley and there all related to me so any info would help. Thankyou to everyone Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
We have An old georgian grandfarther clock in old dark oak ,it has a movement by Tobias Fletcher 8 day striking about 86 inches high and comes complete.
We are thinking of selling this on e bay, has any body any idea of how much this clock is worth.
Thanks
Colin

Hi Colin
The only one i have found that was sold was for £350.00 back in 2005
19th Century Oak long case clock by Tobias Fletcher Barnfley, the dial painted with fruit and flowers in a floral carved case, 206cm high.
let me know if you decide to place it on ebay. Regards Richard Fletcher

Hi Richard .. I have a watch which looks identical to the photos attached. When I was visiting the UK some 35 years ago I visited the Barnsley museum they were quite excited to see the watch and very helpful in that they obtained an article from their local paper dated 8 0r 3 April 1905 titled "Tobias Fletcher or quietness is best" giving some interesting details of Tobias or Toby as he was known. how my grandfather obtained the watch some 100 years ago is uninteresting story in itself.. Good luck with your enquiries,
Calliwag Western Australia.

Hi Calliwag sorry for delay not been on here for some time, The search goes on and i aquired the story a couple of months ago amazing to read something about my 5/6 great grandfather from all those years ago, unfortunately my search got stuck on his father Leeds holbeck clockmaker John Fletcher died 1787 funnily enough he is also in the paper but that was being found dead in the river never could be certain of his age.