• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Watsons in Seymour, Northumberland, Ontario

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
I am struggling a bit with the above family. I can find them in 1861, 1871 and 1881 but not in the 1851. Is the 1851 not complete does anyone know or not online. The reason I am trying to find them is that the husband James Watson born around 1804 in Scotland, should be alive then. He died in 1853.
His wife was Mary born around 1812 Scotland and children Alexander,Robert, George, James, Janet, William and Isabella who all would have been around in the 1851 Isabella being 2 and Alexander 16.

Barbara

calliek

Ancestry seems to be missing a lot of 1851 (actually 1852) census but I foudn your family here

http://automatedgenealogy.com/censu...Census+of+Canada+page+containing+James+Watson

34 Watson, James farmer & carpenter Scotland Presbyterian 47 M
35 Watson, Mary Scotland Presbyterian 38 F
36 Watson, Alexander Labourer Canada Presbyterian 17 M
37 Watson, Robert Canada Presbyterian 15 M
38 Watson, George Canada Presbyterian 13 M
39 Watson, James Canada Presbyterian 10 M
40 Watson, Janet Canada Presbyterian 8 F
41 Watson, William Canada Presbyterian 6 M
42 Watson, Isabella Canada Presbyterian 3 F

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
thanks so much Calliek

That is much appreciated. Interesting that there is a Thomas Watson next door and he appears in the 1861 and 71 too but married to a Jane from Scotland.

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Calliek

As you seem to know what there is in your country can you tell me how easy it is to find BMDs and give me a note of any useful sites I can try? I am trying to find out more about the Watsons and why George had a middle name of Moscript.

thanks again
Barbara

calliek

Keep in mind that Canada didn't officialy become a country until 1867 so record keeping was sporadic prior to that. Sadly we have nothing like a BMD registry here- at best it's a hunt through parish records. If you are searching for Catholic records it's a bit easier since the Catholic church records were well maintained but for all else your best bet is the Drouin collection

http://institutdrouin.com/mfilms/

It's a tricky collection to search on it's own but Ancestry bought the rights to the entire collection so it's worthwhile to subscribe to a Canadian package or World if those are the records you need.

calliek

I had a quick look myself and can't come up with anything either. The Drouin collection for Ontario seem to only be the Catholic records so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks anyway, I will concentrate on their roots as James and Mary married in Westruther, Berwickshire in 1834. I was hoping the Canadian family might give some clues but doesn't always work and they were Scottish Presbyterian.

Barbara

calliek

There's a couple other possibilities but I haven't used them so don't know what you'll find.
You can check this list for relevent data and email the person who's listed as having access. I've never tried to email any of them myself but maybe someone has the info you're looking for. Some of the entires seem quite dated.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canghl/on.html

And there's this page which listed some available records by county

http://www.genealogysearch.org/canada/ontario.html

My great grandfather is Alexander Watson. He left Canada and went to Michigan, while the rest of the family stayed in Canada. I have been doing research on this family and would be interested in communicating with you.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sugar williams,

Would love to get in touch with you re the Watsons at Seymour if you will private message me I can put you in touch with other relations.

Barbara

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 9
DaveHam9 1891 Census Request 2
DaveHam9 1871 Census Request 7
DaveHam9 1841 Census Request 5