• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WDYTYA Theresa!!!

snowydacat

While watching WDYTYA on Sunday night I went into a gobsmack moment. There was the Church of Ireland representative stating without reservation that if your name was Theresa you were Catholic.
My ggggrandmother was Theresa Fennell b 1842, father Charles, and I had been unable to get any information on either of them further back than her marriage until just last week when I found him on Chelsea pension records. It doesnt state his religion on there but says he was born in Dublin.
I know it was probably stupid of me but I had assumed that as her daughter had married into a definate Church of Ireland family, none of them were Catholic (I know, assume nothing :( ).
So now I have new questions, how common was it for Catholic to marry Protestant in the 1850's or 1870's? Was the fact that they were army families relevant to the inter religion marriage? But most importantly...is it true that by mere virtue of her being named Theresa (as was her daughter) should I now go down the road that the family are Catholic?
Gotta love the way a simple sentence on a tv programme sends your head in a spin :biggrin: and one week can give you a sudden opening for more research :2fun:
Snowy