• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

We probably know more about our ancestors than they did.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I reckon that some of our ancestors, especially the ones who had humble occupation knew less about themselves that we do. We probably know dates of their lives that they probably never knew.

EG, my 5xgreat grandmother Eleanor Bell was born in High Coniscliffe, Durham in 1777 daughter of Thomas and Ann Bell. She wed in 1796 in the village then lived in Gainford from then on for many decades. Her husband Henry Sewell died in 1848.

The 1851 census for Gainford says that Ellen Sewell was aged 73, a widow, born Durham NK (Not Known). But through evidence, I have found she was born in High Coniscliffe. I wonder how she forgot her birthplace.

In the 1850s, Ellen moved away to Gilling in North Yorkshire. The 1861 census says that she was lodging at the grocery store at the village, born in Durham. She died in December 1863.

Somehow she forgot her birthplace, so in that case, 150 years later, her descendent, me, has found out her birthplace, meaning that I probably know more about her than she ever did about herself. I bet she is in heaven raging with jealousy now :biggrin: :biggrin: :2fun: :2fun: :D

Ben